Author Topic: The write stuff  (Read 11605 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
The write stuff
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:13:46 PM »
The Internet sure has changed the world as we knew it (way back just after fire was invented).  Sadly, sometimes it is painfully obvious what Internet users not only know their stuff but also have the right stuff for articulating that knowledge online.

Of our English users, some of you may have missed it (and I feel sorry for you if you missed it) but I hope at least most of you (the English users) noticed that the title of this appears to have the wrong adjective.  I did it on purpose.  On the Internet, you should use the write stuff, in order to say the right stuff.

One of the things that irritate me to no end is when people post what appears to be good, insightful, well-informed, or well-put statements ... and use the wrong words or spellings.  The user appears to know a thing or two ... then demonstrate inability to spell or no concern about what they are really saying.  Usually it is Homonyms that trip people up.  Sometimes it can be funny, at others times it just takes all the validity out of what could have been a meaningful statement.   Either way, it doesn't have to be.  We use computers every single day.  Great technological tools with incredible abilities (just compare to computers in 1983) ... and we can't even get our sentences correct!  You could be the President of a great nation and instead end up looking like a fool because you couldn’t be bothered to get your words right the first time.  (are you thinking of a fairly resent U.S. President?) 

Now don't get me wrong.  Very rarely do I assume the role of a “grammar nazi”, though I've been known to be quick to turn someone's word choice into a joke (for the lols).  Still, I find it especially annoying and disappointing when online users get in a passionate discussion and the conversation is filled with lousy word choice/spelling while trying desperately to make intelligent points.  All validity has vanished.  Credibility is gone.  Can’t even remember what the point was because of the glaring word choice.

Come on people!  You’re on a computer!  Nearly everything has a spell checker!  Nearly all word processors have a decent grammar checker as well.  Simple and quick to use!  A lot of web browsers even provide simple spell checking (Firefox, Chrome), all you have to do is know enough to use the right word!  Even then, if in doubt, Google it!

Sometimes I just want to say:  "Hold it.  You've been caught mangling the English Language.  That will cost you two English Semesters and three grammar tests.  Now step away from the keyboard before anyone gets hurt."

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: The write stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »
I want to mention very quickly that some people don't speak english natively and don't have the time or the energy to learn it perfectly.  Some people don't have the time to learn it at all and have to resort to translators which are by their nature imperfect.  Don't be so quick to judge, especially on the internet where there's no way to know everything that's going on.

on the other paw for people who obviously does know how to spake english and are of the choosing not to do so i very much am in agreement with your sentyments expressed in here

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »
I'm with ya... but, given the subject matter,  might want to proof read your post...  :o
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
WillyP is immune to irony. ;D  Or so he says...

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:52:39 PM »
problem with spell check, saying the write stuff is correct, according to spell check.

I must be the elite few that doesn't typically use any abbreviations, even in text messages. Only time i say stuff like 2 instead of two, to or too, is when I am reaching the 160 character limit.

it "MAY", let me say that again, "MAY", yes, "MAY" have been cute of funny at the beginning of the internet to say things like "c u l8ter" but it's old now. Say, "See you later"

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:03:41 PM »
I just say cyazall later when I'm in TrackMania.  Because I like the letter zed.  And I call it zed.  And you can't make me call it anything else.
so there

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 05:13:03 AM »
WillyP is immune to irony. ;D  Or so he says...

Had me fooled, completely.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 05:17:17 AM »
Now your sarcasm is getting dubious ::)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
Quote from: Techpro
Come on people!  You’re on a computer!  Nearly everything has a spell checker!  Nearly all word processors have a decent grammar checker as well.  Simple and quick to use!  A lot of web browsers even provide simple spell checking (Firefox, Chrome), all you have to do is know enough to use the right word!  Even then, if in doubt, Google it!

You should never be too reliant on either spell checker or grammar checker for any program, though, because they are FAR from perfect. As Vanguard said, they can overlook the obvious, because it's not programmed to check for it. Web browser spell checkers are particularly bad, and rather backwards in comparison to the spell checkers of today's word processors (The current version of Microsoft Word, for example, can run circles around it without breaking a sweat) and I've never heard of a web browser grammar check yet.

Also, when in doubt, I suggest Dictionary.com over Google, because Dictionary.com is specialized for this very purpose, and actually can pull through more reliably than Google could.

Quote from: Kaiaatsel
I want to mention very quickly that some people don't speak english natively and don't have the time or the energy to learn it perfectly.  Some people don't have the time to learn it at all and have to resort to translators which are by their nature imperfect.  Don't be so quick to judge, especially on the internet where there's no way to know everything that's going on.

Double this times infinity. People, especially natively-speaking-English people, (like Americans) can be very quick to forget that the rest of the world has got the Internet too, and those other places don't typically speak English natively. Therefore, their attempts to do so can be very flawed, and English can be a very difficult language to learn (partly because it's such a huge mishmash of other languages all attempted to be rolled into one, working, language) so it isn't fair, at all, to expect them to be perfect about what they write/speak in said language. I would estimate that easily at least half, if not more, of the errors Techpro speaks of could be attributed to this.

As for the rest, that's more just humans being human and making mistakes. I, personally, attempt to have my spelling and grammar correct where possible, but I still make numerous errors, yet most of the time I don't sweat over it. Usually they're minor, and more often than not, occur in areas where, really, it's not such a big deal. Like, for example, posts on PD. Errors really don't matter so long as it's still clear what the person is trying to say. I personally overlook a lot of errors simply because I think it's not worth it to make a big deal out of it, as it usually is the case just about anywhere on the web, the only exceptions being when it is a serious error (typically one that interferes with clarity) or like Techpro, I can make a playful and well-meaning gag out of it.

What it really boils down to is how professional and mature you want to be about many of these errors. And by "professional" and "mature," I certainly don't mean by being a grammar nazi (a term which actually contains an error itself, BTW. "Nazi" is a proper noun and should always be capitalized). Mistakes are still going to happen, and with such a large group of people on the Internet at any given time, odds are there's going to be a lot of them, so one should be more understanding and forgiving in most cases than annoyed.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »
Yap.  Judging people without knowing the whole story is always a bad idea, and not just about grammar.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 03:34:15 PM »
This is why I made it clear in the OP that my rant is directed towards the English speaking users of the Internet.  By "English Speaking" I'm referring to those that have English as their first/primary/native language.  If possible, I always try to find if the user is in that category before I judge their misuse of English.

I also do not consider "lolspeak" to be a misuse of English.  People use lolspeak on purpose, and (usually) understand that it's for the "LOLs".

My irritation is with the users who use the wrong words unintentionally but should know much better.  All others are excused.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:38:13 AM »
Yes, in this instance, LOLspeak, and it's equivalents (like texting talk) are entirely different ballparks and aren't relevant to the topic.

However, I still stand by what I said before, which was:

Quote from: Scyphi
What it really boils down to is how professional and mature you want to be about many of these errors. And by "professional" and "mature," I certainly don't mean by being a grammar nazi (a term which actually contains an error itself, BTW. "Nazi" is a proper noun and should always be capitalized). Mistakes are still going to happen, and with such a large group of people on the Internet at any given time, odds are there's going to be a lot of them, so one should be more understanding and forgiving in most cases than annoyed.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 08:36:55 AM »
I wouldn't capitalize the word nazi.  It doesn't deserve it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 08:49:10 AM »
I see your point, but I don't think the world of grammar cares about such things.

Besides, the Nazis would complain.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:50:43 AM by Scyphi »
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
What I want to know is, why can't people use the proper form of your and you're? I even say the two differently, pronouncing "your" more like [YORE] and you're more like [YER], but do these blasphemous offenders of the English language care? Were they sleeping in class in the 4th grade? Because I remember specifically that it was 4th grade English class that re-emphasized this, and if you did not pass that particular test, you get held back, but do they even teach that anymore? Could it be a lack of funding? Or could it be because I actually went to a private elementary school?
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets