Author Topic: Mystery boss  (Read 4676 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Mystery boss
« on: July 26, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
Strike Force (a pilot from Vortex) claims that there is a 3rd D3 boss in the regular D3 levels.

One that can cloak, has megas,  "it sort of looked like Bob squiare pants" (lol), "it had those lauch tubes", " its like it would never die", "it made a funny noise. you could hear it coming" (sounds like something out of a horror movie to me), "it was a big area room with tunnels leading to it. it had windows too, where you could see boss bot moving aorund when it reappaered."

Two guesses. It was a downloadable level, or it's that deadmanwalking cheat (which we know is false, but maybe it's mispelled somehow ;)) He is DEAD SET that it is part of the regular levels of Descent 3 and that he didn't cheat to get to it. If you ask me, I think he needs to go through the whole game again, and that's just what's he's doing.

I don't believe any part of this because of my experience of going through the darn game for 9 years with out any other downloadable levels (that's dedication!). Does anyone remember this from a downloadable level? That has to be the only explanation.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Mystery boss
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 08:58:54 PM »
I'm going to go with "downloadable level" because there isn't any bot like that in the regular Descent 3 level set.  There *might* be some similarities ...  but "kind of like Bob Square Pants" ???  No.  Absolutely not.

There are some downloadable levels that may have something similar.  Couldn't tell you which one would match that (if any).  People get pretty wild with custom bots sometimes.

There are possibilities...

You know, the Theif and the Super Thief are kind of like a SpongeBob Squarepants kind of shape... just smaller than you might expect for that comparison.  That Super Thief makes a strange noise, is accessible by tunnels, plus there are windows.

I suppose he could be thinking of the Victorious Legion Troop Commander you have to wipe out when cleaning up the Excelsior.

If he plays the Mervenary level set he'll encounter the HDT-11 "Heavy Trooper" (big mostly yellow Trooper shaped bot shoots energy shots and fires Impact Mortars) in the 2nd level of the Mercenary set.

I doubt he's thinking of the Alien Queen ...

Possibly the Tracking Station's Captain or First Mate?  (Mercenary set) Or the Trooper sent by the Captain to check out "a disturbance" in the warehouse?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »

You know, the Theif and the Super Thief are kind of like a SpongeBob Squarepants kind of shape... just smaller than you might expect for that comparison.  That Super Thief makes a strange noise, is accessible by tunnels, plus there are windows.

That seems to be the most likely one. I don't think the others would match the discription.

I suppose he could be thinking of the Victorious Legion Troop Commander you have to wipe out when cleaning up the Excelsior.

Calm yourself Tech Pro. This isn't "The Knights of the Round Table." It's the Expediator. :P
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:17:38 AM »
When you really think about it, there are several bosses in D3. The Super Thief, the Homonucleus (or however you spell it), the Dragon (heck, all of the "champions" from the proving grounds could count), the Hellion, the Stromtrooper TP describes, the Black Pyros you have to fight from level four, and so on. Maybe this guy is thinking of a robot that we don't normally think as a boss, but could count as one.

I think it's a custom mission, personally. Maybe a confusion with the Super Thief (though, to me, the surroundings described down match, nor those the sounds described; the thief always sounded comical or annoying to me, not something to drive fear in one's heart).

A screenshot would help end the confusion, probably. Anyway for your bud to get one, NUMBERZero?

EDIT: I wonder if he means the boos from the N-4 Installation custom mission. It's boss looks kind of like Spongebob, I guess, it's kind of square, but with rounded edges and wings. And you can't actually defeat him until you complete the mission's objectives...

...But he's a silent bugger, won't actually shoot until you shoot at him first, hardly moves, and while there IS a window in the room that this boss is sitting behind, it's promptly broken on your entry into the room, and there's only one passage that leads in and out of the area.

It's the only custom bot I know of that fits the description, though.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:46:25 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
He can't get a screeny (gee I wonder why). He said that he had a save file before his computer crashed and now he's gone on a wild goose chase to find it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 07:54:16 AM »
That confirms it, then, it has to be a custom level. If he's on a wild goose chase to find it, then that tells me it's not where he thought it was, and therefore, not an official D3 boss. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:44:18 AM »
One other option: He's messing with you, or he's one of those types who will say anything to get your attention (and lie to cover it).

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »
Either that or he's just really bad at describing. I often find I have no clue about some people's description, then when I finally figure out what they're talking about, I can only say "HUH???"  :o
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:21:44 PM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 04:10:52 PM »
Perhaps it was a D4 level?  ;D
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »

Calm yourself Tech Pro. This isn't "The Knights of the Round Table." It's the Expediator. :P

Whooops   :D

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 06:25:13 AM »
I'm with WillyP; most likely he's just bad at describing what it is that he's looking for. I had a friend who tried D3 once (he never really got into it that much, though) and after having played a certain level, he would then come to me and tell me about it and describe things in such a way that I was frequently wondering what the heck he was talking about.

It's really just a matter of seeing some things differently from others, I guess. :)
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets