Author Topic: The Outer Reaches  (Read 16582 times)

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
Re: The Outer Reaches - Beta ready, help wanted
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
Wish I had looked at this yesterday.  Might not have time today to look at it (weekends are always bad for me, but this one is worse).  Probably wouldn't be able to help you out till Monday and that's a while to wait.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 05:03:53 PM »
I pretty much already tried exactly what you said for the secret exit, Scyphi.  The door was generated as a secret exit, but when it's open, nothing happens.  You can go down the small stretch of a tunnel and back, but even after creating the door again, only the regular exit takes you out of the level.  It didn't even acknowledge that the reactor was supposed to open it at first, until I told it to. :/

Likewise, I tried to insert the reactors as cubes at first, but I get a warning message that "flag goals are not available in Descent 1," and nothing about the level appearance changes.  I figured that was pretty much what I had to do, so now the problem is that the editor's not letting me do it.  This was the same across all the versions of DLE-XP I've used (1.8.92 to 1.9.02).

If I can't get it to work, I'll probably at least try to fix the concave cubes in the last level and upload an updated version to DMDB.  Hopefully then, someone could help me fix the rest. ^^;
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 07:04:34 AM »
Hmm...well it sounds like there's a problem with the trigger, but I can't think of what it might be...

Nor for the reactor cubes, dunno what the whole deal with the 'flag goals' is. Might be a problem with the editor itself...but again I just don't know.

Maybe I'll have to download DLE-XP and open up your level set and see if I can see the problem there, assuming I can find the time...
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 03:20:11 AM »
I've just posted an updated version of the beta.  There are no more concave cubes, so nobody should end up getting stuck in the boss room any more. ;) I ended up having to reconstruct the entire room because of conflicts between adjacent cubes that couldn't be simply fixed by changing the coordinates, so you'll probably notice that the boss room looks somewhat different now.

The secret exit is still an unresolved issue, but as it stands, I've done just about all I can to fix the beta.  I believe everything that's still not quite right is the fault of my copy of the editor...
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »
Going to look at it.

I was able to get a secret mission door to work, complete with "alternate exit found, proceeding to secret level" or whatever it says.  But when I entered the regular exit, I'd go into the secret level at the same time.

With DMB2 I never had this kind of hassle.

edit: found the problem.  Your mission does not have a single "secret exit" trigger.  Trigger 17 seems to be the one for the secret exit, but there is no trigger type selected.  Check the secret exit type on Trigger 17 and you should be good to go.

edit: indeed, this does the job.

edit: I used to be able to do custom exit tunnels all the time.  It's easy to do, but the way to do it is very specific, and you need to use briefing files for each level.

I also see that the custom music you supposedly wanted to use is not in there, but oh well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:38:59 PM by CrazyEnzo03 »
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »
I can't modify my post for some reason.  Here is what else I was going to add:

If I have the time, I'll look into how to do it again and then show you all the basic requirements.  Bear in mind this may not be for a while.

What I do know is that your ship must enter each cube though side 6, and it may be that you must exit each cube through side 5...

Or maybe it's the other way around, but it is one or the other.  Even if you do this, you must also supply a .txb file (type of briefing file) which has certain data such as where the end of the exit tunnel shows up on the heightmapped terrain, the terrain texture, and the heightmap texture itself (turns out you can use custom versions of these last two, but I haven't been able to successfully do this in years).

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »
I'd actually need a full copy of BriefEd or some other program that could be used to make them, if there is one.  I've tried downloading BriefEd from a couple different places, but there always seems to be a file missing from the download, so I haven't been able to get it to work.  If not for that...

As far as the secret exit goes... Well, now I feel dumb.  I had no idea the problem was that simple. XD;; Anywho, it's now updated to work and can be accessed from the appropriate level.  Good luck finding and clearing it!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:29:21 PM by NaphthaTurisas »

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:59 AM »
I recommend Yahoma 2.0, or 2.0b.  You can get 2.0b off of descentvalhalla.com.  I don't think you can get 2.0 anymore, I will have to upload it somewhere.

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 04:09:23 AM »
Exit sequences have been added; although the reactors do not display properly on the automap, there are no problems otherwise, so I'd consider this mission complete and no longer just a beta. I really appreciate the feedback and help I got while I was looking to fix the last few problems; I think that really helped with the end result, especially since this is my first mission and I'm still learning the ropes. :)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 06:57:11 AM »
Are the reactors in the right kind of cubes?

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 08:42:42 AM »
You should be able to change the cube "type" in the segment tab just like you might do so for an energy center.  I almost never add robot spawners or energy centers or similar cubes through the menu item, I always simply make a cube and then set the type.

What I do know is that in the version of DLE I am using (which is outdated), I cannot create "reactor" cubes, nor set any cubes to be reactor cubes.  I can set them, however, to be robot makers or energy centers.  This may only be my version of DLE, but you may have to try out Devil or use DMB2, though the latter should only be if you can get the full version.  Devil is free, however, and SDL Devil should do the job just fine.

Most people won't REALLY care but it wouldn't hurt to take a few extra steps to make them reactor cubes... though we shouldn't have to take said extra steps.

edit: latest version will add reactor cubes in d2, but not d1.

edit: since it is obvious that this problem is not limited to a single person, I put a bug ticket for DLE-XP on karx's tracker, so that issue may be fixed before long (It's almost crazy how often he updates this stuff).

edit: Go grab the latest version and you can turn those cubes into reactor cubes now.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:41:08 PM by CrazyEnzo03 »

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 09:25:27 AM »
Naphtha,

You should make this co-op compatible, too.

There are several people who like a good co-op now and then.

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 01:42:56 AM »
Done and done, plus the reactors are showing up properly now and I fixed a few textural errors I managed to catch.  It now supports up to three players in co-op; four was a bit of a tight squeeze on some of the levels, so I decided against it.  All I can say is I'll try to be more careful of that with future levels, but hopefully it's not too bad of a setup as it is.

And hopefully this is the last time I need to update it. XD

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: The Outer Reaches
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 06:36:59 AM »
Well, I suppose I should actually get around to downloading it and playing it then. :P

In my defense, though, I have had a bit of a busy week, but thankfully it's starting to wind down now.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
Re: The Outer Reaches
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 07:21:37 AM »
Awesome!

Although I prefer 4 player, I agree that it would be a tight squeeze.  Three is probably best for these levels.

I'll have to play through it as soon as I get the chance.  I will say that on one level, either level 3 or 4, I forget which, where there is a robot maker right at the beginning, I think you went overboard with spawning robots from that one robot maker because I pass through the room and there's three spawnings worth of bots there, and the room is pretty small at that.  After this, it never goes off because it is exhausted.  That particular part doesn't play very well.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets