Author Topic: No-secrets challenges  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
No-secrets challenges
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »
Wondering how many people have actually tried playing some of the missions (main game or fanmade) without picking up any of the hidden powerups, and just about how much harder it really made them for you.

I actually did complete a no-secrets run of Descent: Vignettes on Ace before, but only with a lot of saving and reloading on some levels, including save points right before the bosses.  Took some trial and error, but I got lucky with the Fusion Cannon and some other things, and it was a lot more possible than it might seem on Rebirth, especially on the final level. :P I'm currently about to play through the levels again without abusing save points, and I might end up uploading the playthrough on YouTube if it interests anyone.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: No-secrets challenges
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »
Being curious, being observant, and finding the secrets is a big part of the fun for me (part of the reason I can't stand to play through the main campaigns more than once every few years).  Same with any other game that has secrets.
It wouldn't be the same if I wasn't allowed to find them.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »
What I wanna know is, did you do that WITH modded bots or regular D1 bots? I can't remember if the modded bots were from Vignettes or from The Enemy Within, though.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »
They were from Enemy Within but there was a mod (for D2X-XL only) that let you play Vignettes with modified versions of those bots (it made it a whole lot harder.  I couldn't get past level 5).

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
I end up missing a lot of secrets, so in a way, I think already do play like that. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »
You know, I hate to be a little off topic here, but I have to bring up that, no matter what I do (and I use D2X-XL, love it) I can't disable bot mods. They've invaded regular D1! Imagine trying to get past level 26 with all those Fusion Hulks which are now those Mega Missile Whales! Even on TRAINEE... COMPLETELY INVULNERABLE... they shoot so many friggin' mega missiles that they get you stuck in a corner from the constant bombardment.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »
Delete the hxm or ham file in mods/descent

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets