Author Topic: I'm finally gonna do it...  (Read 13505 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: I'm finally gonna do it...
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
Unless you had some objective comparison, or looked at the code, you wouldn't know.

I've played Portal 2 enough times to know it doesn't do this.

But then again, it is a puzzle game. Adaptive difficulties would kind of defeat the point of it.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 04:43:26 PM »
How would you know? Maybe not portal I don't know, there were no specific examples, and it was a causal comment in an article about something else, I don't even remember what.

But it got me thinking. In the D3 levels I made, I always included a little more difficulty on the higher levels. I doubt most people would notice, especially if they weren't looking for it.. Thing like a little less time to do something, a few more bots in a room, a more active matcen. But these are obvious things that you could see, unlike something like greater awareness, better aim, a tighter hit radius or less splash damage, that an actual programer of the game could include.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »
I like the way some of the new Super Mario games did it. If you died over and over again at the same point, it would eventually give you the option to "watch" a guide that essentially played that part for you. But you would get a bronze star to remind you that you're a loser and you should try harder.  :P

But it's good for the kids, because they probably won't care, and it's good for the adults, because it allows Nintendo to really crank up the pain in some of the later levels.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:29:36 PM by D2Disciple »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets