Author Topic: Additional Access Keys' Colors  (Read 7652 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Additional Access Keys' Colors
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:42:53 PM »
If you were to have 5 access keys in addition to the traditional 3 (B, Y, R), what colors would they be and what order would they appear? Personally, I'd have it afew different ways:

Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red...

...but some people are funny about orange, because it can be mistaken for red or yellow, or the lava might throw the color off a little, so here's an alternative:

Blue, Green, Yellow, Red, Black-light Purple (kinda like the order of severity in a weather radar.)
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Additional Access Keys' Colors
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:38:02 AM »
Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red.

That would be my order. Maybe have each color have a different shape.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:22:13 AM »
Honestly, i never thought about it. Was perfectly content with red, blue, and yellow.

But now I'm wondering what brought up this line of thought, Alieo. Any special reason, or just got to thinking about it?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:07:52 AM »
I never thought of five... but when I was little and playing Descent II for the first time, I thought I needed some new green key to get out of the first room of Level 15.  Glad the door opened when I just shot at it as usual, though... XD;;

If anything, I'd probably make Green the usual first if that were to be thrown in.  I'd definitely prefer purple/ultraviolet to orange if there were to be five, and I'd probably make it final for either secret areas within the reactor area or maybe for getting to a boss instead.  It wouldn't feel right showing up any earlier in the set, but I'm so used to red getting to the reactor or boss room.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:23:59 AM »
Good luck percieving an ultraviolet key as anything but regular purple... unless you have the lenses removed from your eyes.

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »
Alieo said it first, not me. :P I'll admit black lights would make for interesting graphical effects, but yeah, otherwise the key itself would be purple.

Is it possible to hack the key colors? Right now I'd almost like to see if someone could manage a purple key with pseudo-black lighting by the doors.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
@NaphthaTurisas What I was thinking was the lighting would be similar to black lighting. The key would be a glowing purple, maybe black with purple borders, and the door lights would turn white robots and ships nearby into a neon purple color. That would be pretty cool. Would be great for rooms filled with pink fusion hulks or to indicate an even harder danger than a red area. Perhaps, beat the boss robot, he spawns the purple/black key, go into that blacklight door, crush a control panel to unlock the exit, and GO GO GOOOO!!!

But now I'm wondering what brought up this line of thought, Alieo. Any special reason, or just got to thinking about it?

Well, I've been submerged in re-creating my Mario Maps, upgrading the resolution on all my files. (I had 4,323 files in the original folder, but now I have 7,519 files.)

Anyways, the thought crossed my mind because, ever since I quit my job, I was re-creating new files, but I'm now in the creating phase as of yesterday, and I have all these key colors for when Mario (or Luigi) takes down a fortress, and I imagined what it would be like if that were to be applied in Descent.

But in these Mario maps, I've got every friggin' color in the rainbow: ice blue, aqua blue, blue, dark green, radioactive green, gold, orange, fire, red, brown, gray, white, blue cloud, red cloud, purple/pink, burnt orange, black, light brown, blue-lime, and dark indigo.

Here's what I mean. Here's all the updated icons of each set (almost all). Top row shows original icons from Super Mario Bros. 3. I'm especially happy with how the fortresses turned out.

...and THAT'S what got me thinking about Descent access keys!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »
Well, purple-black is the colour of zombieness.
But Descent doesn't have zombies... does it?

Maybe I should have called Infection the Medium Lifter Apocalypse remix instead of Zombie Apocalypse...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:28:24 PM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »
Nope, no zombies detected.

;)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 05:27:57 PM »
You didn't get it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 05:34:41 AM »
I don't see any zombies either. Robots don't count as the undead because they were never alive to begin with. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:37:05 AM »
Man you guys are uncreative... I see what he's talking about just fine.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
Oh come on, you at least can't deny that the last picture is a robot version of Frankenstien's Monster.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
Oh come on, you at least can't deny that the last picture is a robot version of Frankenstien's Monster.
Well, Duh!

Still not a Zombie.  Not by any zombie definition.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking, but since I'm no monster movie expert, I held off to see if anybody else thought likewise.
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets