Author Topic: PSX Anarchy from Descent 1 PSX?  (Read 22274 times)

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
PSX Anarchy from Descent 1 PSX?
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »
I saw that the levels from Descent Maximum's SP campaign and its unique anarchy levels have been ported to PC, but that's old news.  I'm wanting to know if anyone has done so for PSX Anarchy, which are the 1v1 levels from Descent 1 PSX.

And I'm also curious as to how this was done.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: PSX Anarchy from Descent 1 PSX?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
Umm... yeah, they're in the archive with the singleplayer mission for most of the Descent Maximum levels downloads (except, I think the DMDB one).
I played them on 3-player LAN once and they actually play really well.  It's a shame no one ever hosts them online.

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:54:51 PM »
Enzo's not talking about Maximum, you silly fox! :)  He's talking about Descent 1 for PSX
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 06:25:44 AM »
Well, but if they got Descent Maximum levels ported, I'd imagine it'd just be a hop, skip, and a jump to do D1, so I'd be surprised if someone hasn't done it yet.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:45:33 AM »
If anyone is wanting to undertake the project, I have D1-PSX, so I should be able to get the files.

...I don't recall there being many 1v1 levels, though.  Seems like there were only a few.

--------

On an unrelated note, D1-PSX ran horribly (it would drop to 3-4fps in heavy action).  I can't imagine 1v1 would have been that much fun, especially because you would have had to set up two TVs and two Playstations in the same room.  :P

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »
 :-[

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
I too have a legit copy of D1 PSX.  It seems I can't just load up the PSX version's DESCENT.HOG into hamm though.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »
I've heard the format is slightly different.  The guy who extracted the Descent Maximum hog (he's called DescentMax :P) wrote some utility to convert it (or something like that).  I'm not sure where to find him except maybe on the Rebirth forums.
Dan Wentz might be another person to ask because I think he made an "official" port of Descent Maximum to PC D2 after DescentMax released the first one (or I'm confused and he just made DescentMax's port official).  Either way he was the lead level designer on Descent Maximum so he might know something helpful; and he is reachable -- heck he's even here (as Vertigo1).

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 06:01:43 AM »
I would imagine Diedel might know how to help you too, seeing that all his work with D2X-XL would make him well versed with both D1's and D2's engines, or he'd at least know where to start.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:05:38 AM »
If I had the data, I could possibly take a quick look at trying to reverse-engineer the format.

I don't have the data though, so that is a problem.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »
I don't have the data though, so that is a problem.

Enzo and I both said we have it... all ya have to do is ask.  :)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »
"Hey, Enzo or Foil, are you willing to commit copyright infringement and send me the game data files so I can try to reverse engineer them?"

:P

On a more serious note, Enzo or Foil, can I have the datafiles to try to look into reverse engineering their formats?

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »
If Enzo doesn't beat me to it, I'll get you the files this weekend when I'm at home and I get the chance.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 01:40:06 AM »
The Descent Maximum mission has been converted to Descent for PC. I am hosting it on my server.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
I think we're talking about the Anarchy levels from Descent 1 for PSX.
Apparently they're not the same as the ones from regular D1... ???

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets