Author Topic: EMP question  (Read 10819 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
EMP question
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »
I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this. In the game, Call of Duty: MW2, Captain Price launches an EMP missile (or two), and disables an area on a country. Naturally, all electronic devices no longer works.
Question is,

"After" this has been detonated, can anything electrical work when you enter that area, or is there something in the air that will disable it for a certain period of time?
I'm not asking for any lengthy reply. Short and sweet works for me.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: EMP question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »
An EMP is an electromagnetic pulse, which you could also describe as a large (or larger than normal) burst of electronic 'noise' or a pulse of electronic energy.  It is brief (hence the word 'pulse').  Only "knocks out" stuff that isn't sufficiently protected and only stuff that is present at the time of the pulse.  Anything brought in afterwards is not affected.

A common example is a lightening strike which creates a fairly small EMP in the area of the strike and is felt by electronics as a jolt or power surge/spike that can disrupt radio signals briefly, and disrupt your electronics if they are not shielded and will destroy the electronics if not sufficiently surge protected.  Simple surge protectors are usually not enough.  The effect is brief and may last longer if the pulse is stronger, but still temporary.  Any lingering effects would be electrical charges left from the pulse that hasn't dissipated.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:06:10 PM by TechPro »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »
so let's say a game, or a movie would find some way to fire off one of these EMPs in an area; they could charge right afterwards and take them out with all of their electronics working?

nice. thanks!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »
That's correct.

You've seen Independence Day?  At one point they fire off a nuke at an alien ship with a armored vehicle nearby to observe the result.  The blast shakes the vehicle around a bit and their electronics gets zapped a bit, but because they were shielded, they simply restarted their electronics and as the blast wave dissipated, they were able to use their electronics.  Sure, it was Hollywood hamming it up, but pretty close.  Just had to wait for the initial charge/shock to dissipate.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:46:05 AM »
Of course that doesn't mean the creators of COD implemented it that way. I would think a popular game like COD you who find plenty of information specific to the game.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:58 AM »
An EMP doesn't only "knock out" insufficiently protected electronics. It destroys them by overcharging them. Since an EMP is a super intense "flash" of electro-magnetic energy, it's duration is only very short. After it has gone, it leaves nothing behing that could damage electronics any further. So you can safely enter an area that had suffered from an EMP even with unshielded electronics afterwards.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:25:42 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »
Thanks all for the info. Really cool stuff. That was one question on my mind for some time.

Saw that movie years ago. Is that when they demonstrated on shooting a pop can near the ship?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
No, they drove a SAM truck up to monitor the detonation of a nuke on a mothership launched by a B-2.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »
But they did shoot the pop can, too, that was just a different scene. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:33:59 AM »
But they did shoot the pop can, too, that was just a different scene. :)

That was the scene I was asking about, some demonstration.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »
That scene had nothing to do with EMPs, though.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 03:36:00 AM »

hm....that had to do with shielding then right?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 05:38:45 AM »
And catching colds. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 07:38:57 AM »

hm....that had to do with shielding then right?
Yes but not the kind of shielding we're talking about with EMPs. There was nothing to do with EMP in that movie other than as a very minor footnote of the nuke. EMP shielding would be a metal enclosure designed to conduct the charge away from the electronics.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
Or just good grounding for the circuits (routing unwanted charges away from the circuits is what grounding does, in addition to helping to stabilize electronics).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:21:52 PM by DarkWing »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets