Author Topic: Sound font player needed!  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Sound font player needed!
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
So I downloaded this Megadrive Soundfont to emulate music like in the Sega Genesis. All I want to do is listen to existing MIDI files I have using this soundfont. I thought Winamp does such a thing, but apparently I'm wrong or can't figure it out. Anyone know of a program I can very easily just load the soundfont I want to use and then load the MIDI I want to hear?
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Sound font player needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:29:05 AM »
Sidhe Priest posted XMPlay somewhere on here.
It's got pretty good soundfont support but it's a little hard to figure out.
Or you could try the demo of Midi2Wav recorder; the demo can't actually record but it can play with soundfonts.

And I have a bunch of others that I can't remember.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:42:45 AM »
You can load a soundfont with SynthFont and play any midi using that soundfont.  You can even mix and match different soundfonts for each instrument in the midi.

http://www.synthfont.com/

The free version should do what you're after and it also has the ability to record to WAV or other audio formats iirc.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »
another possible option is foo_midi for Foobar2000. It can use BassMIDI or FluidSynth for playing MIDI files, and both can be told to play using certain soundfonts.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:26:01 PM »
Okay, I went with the Synthfont, and it works great! However, I loaded that Sega Genesis soundfont and sampled out some Descent tunes on it... SUCKS!!! I was disappointed. It'll be interesting to try out other soundfonts now, though. Thanks fellas!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets