Author Topic: Dan Wentz paid a visit to HLP, remixed D2 title and FS songs  (Read 3605 times)

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
Dan Wentz paid a visit to HLP, remixed D2 title and FS songs
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Wow!

Today on the Hard Light forums Dan Wentz just shows up and:
Hello,

My "real" name is Dan Wentz. I was fortunate enough to contribute to both of these games and they will forever be a huge part of me. I've also contributed to this project years back. For those interested, just a heads up that I've recently created an account on sound cloud and have started to redo the music from two of my favorite games of all time.  This all started as a discussion with a friend of mine on Facebook of all places. The guy asked me what the main menu music for Descent 2 would sound like now. As I was never happy with how the general midi translated to the masses, I took that as an opportunity. And I can't tell you how much fun it is to revisit some of my favorite projects ever.

Check them out here, probably several more on the way.
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/

If you have any particular requests, I'm all ears.  Thanks for supporting.

-
Dan Wentz

Original post: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80194.msg1590110#msg1590110

The guys at HLP are going bananas.

And when I told him some people here might like to listen to it, I got a PM:
Hey, I didn't even think of that. Feel free to link this post.

Thanks

-
DW
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
Re: Dan Wentz paid a visit to HLP, remixed D2 title and FS songs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »
I'm totally diggin' the D2 Menu Redux soundtrack!
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:41:01 AM »
Ditto. At first I was afraid it was going to be some hard-rock remix, (a bad thing for me, as I have never been too fond of hard rock) but was pleasantly surprised to hear a neat electro-techno-melodic-thing of a mix that is definitely closer to my interests. :D It's even got a faint Portal 2 vibe to it, probably unintentional, though.

Pity there's no download, though, at least none as far as I can see.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:22:00 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »
Not liking rock and metal is bad and you should feel bad for not doing so! :)

I didn't get a Portal 2 vibe from it, maybe I would need to play Portal 2 again but didn't really care for it - didn't have the magic the first one had.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:10:36 AM »
Well then I guess I either feel bad or have bad ears. :P I have nothing against hard rock, actually, it's just not my cup of tea, as the saying goes.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I may not like the hard rock genre of music too often, but I have found a small selection of songs that I like that are technically hard rock, or borderline to it. a SMALL selection, though.

As for the Portal 2 vibes, like I said, it's faint and likely unintentional on Dan Wentz part, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if I'm the only one who thinks it even exists.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:38:17 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
I'm the same; there aren't very many hard rock or metal songs I like but there are some (and a couple of hardcore ones even) including, surprisingly (considering...) Skinny Puppy.

I think the Portal 2-ness is really just in the time signature.  The D2 title music is in 3/4 which is closer to the time signature that most of the Portal 2 songs used (instead of the usual 4/4 for most western genres).

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »
It's all good. :)
Hopefully you know I'm not entirely serious when I said that.

I have a vast variety of tastes for music and for all the rock and metal I like I still love Jazz and Big Band and Romantic era and some DnB and Trance, with my favorite for the latter (maybe?) being
Yage by Future Sound of London
, though it's pretty old being from 1996.. hey! It's as old as D2!

That being said, there are definitely several Descent 1 tracks that seem to be meant to be some form of industrial rock (levels 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, 21, 22, possibly others) and I'd go as far as to say the D2 intro kinda was meant to be industrial rock as well (this was my opinion before I heard the redbook audio and still holds today), but only kinda, and mostly because of the part that sounds like a guitar solo.

:( This is bringing up bad memories from sectorgame.

edit: I didn't think the youtube link would do that and never noticed until now.  I just wanted a link. :|
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:17:41 AM by CrazyEnzo03 »

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »
I have all of Dan's remixes in MP3 format if anyone is interested, but you'd have to ask in a PM (leave your email addy).
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets