Author Topic: Flying Garbage Can!  (Read 17802 times)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
Flying Garbage Can!
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:46:45 AM »
If Oscar the Grouch were to go into space, this is what I envision his ship would look like.

This of course is the shuttle used to “rescue” Dr. Sweitzer from the Novak Corporate Prison in level 2 of Descent 3.

This has got to be the ugliest, most un-space worthy POS I’ve seen, with maybe the exception of the flying Tilt-A-Whirl in the 1985 film Explorers. With all the cool ships in the Descent series, this is the ugly stepchild. It looks like it was thrown together in 5 minutes with minimal polygons and a left-over texture map. Then as an afterthought they added a few asymmetrical fins for “aerodynamics”.  

Does anyone have the inside story behind this brain-fart?

Submitted By PyroJockey
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Flying Garbage Can!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:46:52 AM »
XD

I've always thought that that ship was a little out of proportion with the design of the game.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Planet Orange [phx13]

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »
Wow it wasnt until right now that I realized that ship looked like crap
Go Suns!

"To God be the Glory".
-Greg Jennings
Super Bowl XLV

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 05:24:09 AM »
I just noticed that you can actually see the person inside of the front, and he's the size of a Pyro itself (but I guess that was the case in all Descent games - it just... looks more pronounced here).

As a shuttle, it looks quite useless because from eyeballing it that thing has about as much space inside the cargo hold as the trunk in my Pontiac Grand Prix.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 05:55:27 AM »
I think you guys aren't giving this ship enough credit. It only looks bad, because it was rendered bad. Hey, as we all know, the fusion engine can only do so much. Personally, I think it's a ship that has a lot of potential. It just needs a little tweaking here and there. :)

Quote from: Darcshadow7
with maybe the exception of the flying Tilt-A-Whirl in the 1985 film Explorers.

Now I have to object to that, I thought Explorers was a pretty cool movie. Still do, in fact. 8)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:35:19 AM »
Now I have to object to that, I thought Explorers was a pretty cool movie. Still do, in fact. 8)

I was only commenting on the space-worthy appearance of the flying Tilt-A-Whirl, a.k.a. The "Thunder Road", seen in the film. I was not rating the film in general. It was supposed to look like something a couple kids kludged together from junk so it fit in the movie. I would not expect to see one on Descent, unless you are planning a ship mod.

I think it's a ship that has a lot of potential. It just needs a little tweaking here and there.

That I would like to see. Tweak away, let's see what you come up with.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:46:20 AM by PyroJockey »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »
It's gonna need more than a tweak! Start over.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »
I think the more you look at it, the worse it looks

Why couldn't we give the Doc' a ride in the Pyro, like we did in the olden days?

(Did anyone ever take a head count as to the most number of hostages we could rescue in a regular level?)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:37:03 PM by PyroJockey »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:19:28 PM »
I think 9 or 10! 0_o
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 04:46:27 AM »
Can't use the Pyro to carry the Doc ... Yer Pyro was just in that acid room a couple minutes ago.  That stuff's probably still dripping off yer wings!  (OK, so you only drove through the gas vapors ... it's still a possible issue)

EDIT: You know, that can ain't really all that bad.  It's got racing stripes, dude!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:48:07 AM by TechPro »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 05:59:12 AM »
Pyro's got shields. I can get it through starting at 200 S and getting to the end of the acid tunnels at 200 S. I see no problem with strapping him to the hood and making a fancy hood ornament.

Lol racing stripes. And it has a big engine to boot!
 But wait, if that engine is large, it would take up a lot of room in the ship, not to mention anti-gravity machinery, so where does that leave room for passenger space?

Maybe they stuff the good doctor into a pocked demension! ;)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 06:38:08 AM »
How about jamming the Doc' into guide-bot's docking bay?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 06:51:14 AM »
I think what this craft's biggest problem is it's dimensions. Maybe if one were to tweak the dome, curve it more, elongate the overall length of the craft, adjust the size of the little door thing on it's one side...maybe find a way to make it slightly more symmetrical.... :-\

Hey, at least it beats the guy and his fighter craft in level 11 (I think, the one on Titan, right before the Proving Grounds level?) that you have to rescue. Basically a clone of the shuttle, but with a lot more unneeded fins.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »
I think what this craft's biggest problem is it's dimensions. Maybe if one were to tweak the dome, curve it more, elongate the overall length of the craft, adjust the size of the little door thing on it's one side...maybe find a way to make it slightly more symmetrical.... :-\

Hey, at least it beats the guy and his fighter craft in level 11 (I think, the one on Titan, right before the Proving Grounds level?) that you have to rescue. Basically a clone of the shuttle, but with a lot more unneeded fins.

I actually kinda liked that one.  :P
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 01:00:47 PM »
His voice made up for how wierd his ship was

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets