Author Topic: Descenting challenge contest  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Descenting challenge contest
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:20:49 AM »
Show off your Descenting skill in these video challenges!
The way this works:
1. Read the challenge description -- unless said otherwise, the challenge should be played at hotshot or higher difficulty.
2. Play the challenge and upload a video.  You can play the challenge in any applicable Descent version unless said otherwise.  If you're using D2X-XL though, be sure to turn off inventory as that would give you an unfair edge against those using other versions -- again, unless said otherwise.
3. Post the video here -- be sure to include all information needed for scoring (see "scoring" below), and make sure that you pick up a shield or energy powerup at some point in the video (when you're not fighting or being attacked -- and not shooting at the wall either!) so that we can verify the difficulty level.  Just a hint, but it would be nice to have a link to the point where you picked up that powerup.

Scoring: Unless said otherwise, each challenge is worth 1 point on hotshot, 2 points on ace, or 3 points on insane.  You can add an additional difficulty point if you do something else to make the challenge significantly harder -- for example, playing the old version of The Enemy Within instead of the new easier version, or limiting yourself to using only blue lasers in one of the more combat-oriented D3 challenges.  If you handicap yourself like this make sure to say that in your post here.
If the challenge is meant to be played on a different difficulty level, it will have a point value in its description.  You can still get an extra point for handicapping yourself.

Prizes: I'm not sure what I can give away as prizes but I do want there to be prizes.

And now for the challenges!

The first 6 challenges will be up shortly.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:22:49 AM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Descenting challenge contest
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
First 6 challenges!

2 D1 challenges:
Level 11 cold start on insane, no deaths - 1 point
Level 7 boss -- use only level 1 lasers and concs on insane, no deaths - 2 points

2 D2 challenges
Kill the Ice boss without getting blinded at all -- no camping or cloaks.  Invulns ok, D2X-XL inventory allowed (but no slow-motion or bullet-time).  Regular scoring.
Level 24 cold start on insane - 3 points

2 D3 challenges
Level 4 subway section in the Magnum - no deaths - 1 point for hotshot, 2 points for ace, insane apparently impossible.
Level 14, cold start, Phoenix Interceptor -- no deaths.  Regular scoring.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:12:58 AM »
Well...that just about knocks me out already then. :P I'd be lucky to get through level 1 without dying on insane, as I've never actually done it without cheats.

I may be an avid Descent player, but I never said I excelled at it.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
I doubt I could do any of these either.
That's why I want to see someone do it.
I already have a pretty clear idea of who will win this thing.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »
If people still have the old version of The Enemy Within. Because I surely don't. I deleted my old version as soon as the new version was final and made sure all sources to get it online were updated to the new. So the old classic 'hard mode' version of TEW is mainly a peer-to-peer transfer file now at this point. But if you'd like to handicap yourself like that, go right ahead! lol

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »
I still have it. Haven't updated to the new version yet.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:39:14 PM »
Up until very recently, I exclusively used the default KB configuration, I'm still getting used to my new setup with a Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, but I don't think my skills with either config are up to any of these (except possibly the subway...)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets