Author Topic: DLE-XP: Convert Descent 2 levels to Descent 1  (Read 7239 times)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
DLE-XP: Convert Descent 2 levels to Descent 1
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
DLE-XP can now convert D2, Vertigo and D2X-XL levels to Descent 1. See this thread for more info.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: DLE-XP: Convert Descent 2 levels to Descent 1
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »
Oh okay, I get it. At first I was thinking "don't we already have this?" but then I realized that's d1->d2, not the other way around.

Anyway, pretty cool. Definitely something to note should I ever have a need to do such a thing. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
Fixed a few bugs in D2 -> D1 level conversion today.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:01:03 PM »
I know a few Descent players (some I play with) who LOVE Descent 1 coop, more so than any awesome D2 level sets out there that trump old D1 sets by miles. It must be the ambience or the balance or SOMETHING that makes D1 much better to coop on for these guys. But whatever the reason is, I feel converting some D2 sets to D1 could only help matters and get more recognition for the actual level sets themselves. I've been given permission from Sirius (Darkhorse said he could care less, lol!) to convert Apocalyptic Factor to Descent 1. And its the level set I'll be using to extensively test this feature that Diedel implemented. Especially since its such a new feature worth testing out on something juicy like AF. So hopefully after a month or so, I'll have a working, playable, Sirius approved D1 AF readily available for coop play! So look forward to it! Thanks again Diedel!

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:02:38 AM »
You're welcome. I hope everything will work out flawlessly now, but if not just let me know (preferrably via Sourceforge.net ;)).

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:52:30 PM »
well level 3, Sedurta, when converted to the best of my ability within D1 constraints won't even load at all and just CTD in both Rebirth and D2X-Diedel so not sure what the issue is. I'm looking into it and hopefully its just some silly fix.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
Please use the bug tracker! I will not fix bugs reported anywhere else.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:02:13 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 03:53:12 AM »
I finally cracked Sedurta. It was an interesting level to convert to Descent 1. I had to move the blue, yellow AND red keys to new locations, so the level plays differently. But it flows smoother now and has a more logical flow taking you all the way to the red door, then back to the start, then finally back to the red door in your collection of keys. Its also a bit more free form giving you multiple routes of attack in any given situation. Should be a fun one in Coop.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:29:19 AM »
Sounds like it would be less torturous.  I liked almost all of the levels in AF...  I hated that level.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 06:04:21 AM »
Yeah, I've already had to change up the flow of most levels due to D1 limitations, but that's a good thing. Most of the levels required a control panel to panel playstyle which infuriated people, especially in Obsidian level 3. Remember that everyone? With Descent 1, I can more easily make the levels flow more coherently and not keep people guessing where the next 'panel' to shoot is. Level 4 of AF was a fun one to convert. I introduced the Spider there and boy is it fun to enter that massive big room in the blue area with 6 spiders who each spawn 15 minis each with small hulks, class 1 platforms, class 1 drones, all spawning  multiples of themselves upon death. Its pandemonium in Single and barely survivable but it should be a BLAST in coop.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets