Author Topic: Plasma engines!  (Read 5286 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Plasma engines!
« on: July 19, 2009, 05:57:23 PM »
This is blasphemy. This is MADDNESS! THIS! IS!! THE REAL DEAL!!! I saw this on a Nova Science Now and I became uber excited! The predicted time to get to Mars was about 7 months. Now they say that it will only take 39 days!

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/08/07/plasma-rocket.html

Now I wonder if this will lead to plasma weaponry? :o
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Plasma engines!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »
They don't have all their facts straight...

Quote from: article
The concoction is then herded through nozzles made of magnetic fields, not metals like traditional rocket engines.

Wrong, metal exhaust nozzles would be vaporized, they are made of graphitized carbon fiber. I used to work in a place that made them.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Planet Orange [phx13]

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »
We should take into account that the article is almost a year old. I think we would've heard something about it by now.
Go Suns!

"To God be the Glory".
-Greg Jennings
Super Bowl XLV

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 08:40:37 AM »
I kind of dove in at Discovery to find the article about it and gave it no read.

But isn't that why the "concauction" goes through the magnetic field to avoid the metel?

Oh and BTW, since the article is a year old, you probably haven't heard that they have already tested it in a lab an it works as far as they know.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 09:15:17 AM »
On a side note, do you recall what concoction was used to fly Space Ship One, the first private reusable manned spacecraft, into sub-orbit?

Answer: Ground up tires and laughing gas

What will they think of next?
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
This plasma engine idea is old news for me. Being a real astronomy nut, I heard of the idea years ago, and knew that they were really close to developing it even then, so I'm not surprised by this announcement.

It would be among one of the most ideal forms of propulsion for a mission to Mars, tho. It's either that, or an antimatter-matter drive, which is also under development (tho I think it's no near as far along). :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:13:39 PM »
Anti-matter sounds.... deadly... :o

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
It is...it uh, tends to explode violently when even the littlest of antimatter makes contact with matter. Probably why it's not as far along in development. That, and creating antimatter is pricey right now. :(

It's powerful enough to get man to Mars in about four (not for sure on that) or so months, though, should it be used so.

I remember it, because ficitional things like the USS Enterprise from Star Trek ran on an antimatter-matter reactor. 8)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:09:22 PM »
I kind of dove in at Discovery to find the article about it and gave it no read.

But isn't that why the "concauction" goes through the magnetic field to avoid the metel?

Oh and BTW, since the article is a year old, you probably haven't heard that they have already tested it in a lab an it works as far as they know.

No, the article stated that "traditional" rockets used metal, not the plasma rocket. I am saying they do not use metal exhaust nozzles in "traditional" rockets. This would lead me to conclude the authors are non-technical, and any facts they offer are suspect.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 06:00:45 AM »
It's a slip of the tongue, WillyP, I think you'd be among the minority who would've even noticed.

The important thing is that the rest of the article's facts pretty much check out. :)
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets