Author Topic: The "Descent RAVE" project  (Read 22555 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Re: The "Descent RAVE" project
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
You need to find it!

Level 20: Fort Davis Death Rave
Don't you mean...
Level 20: Fort Dravis Death Rave
???

No, it's Davis... the song I mixed with "Death" is a song I associate driving through the small West Texas town of Fort Davis at night. The electrical whirs in the beginning remind me of the old orange florescent street lights they have buzzing throughout town at night.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I like most of the descent music too much on its own to mess with it.

I absolutely LOVE the original Descent music. I am always building upon my now currently 779 CDs and have been since 1997, but I ALWAYS go back to album #'s 101-103 (Descent) when I don't have anything new to listen to. I've been listening to the same songs to the same game since they came out. I've associated class period numbers back in middle school and high school with D1 MIDI songs.

There's nothing like the very first association. I was in 6th grade, 1996-1997 school year. Period 1, Game01 was playing in my head during science, Game02 was math, Game03 was world history, Game04 was Religion (it was a private catholic school), Game05 was theater arts, Game06 was PE, Game07 was English, Game08 was also English (we had it for two periods).

Digressing now, while I like the original OPL3's, and not one number I see or hear goes by without an OPL3 Descent 1/2 song associated with that number playing in the back of my mind, after all these years of listening to them, I feel I wanted to hear a new perspective on them. That's why I made the Descent RAVE project. No, they don't replace the oldies, but now I have both, and I imagine I will listen to the RAVE project a few times more in the future and eventually make remixes of the originals. Ultimately, I want to get a good program like FL studio and pick up a bit of my own talent and do some wicked reinterpretations of the originals, much like how D2Junkie did the Game12, Game02 and Game03 remakes. Those are absolutely epic and of high caliber!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »
No, it's Davis... the song I mixed with "Death" is a song I associate driving through the small West Texas town of Fort Davis at night. The electrical whirs in the beginning remind me of the old orange florescent street lights they have buzzing throughout town at night.

That was kind of a joke...

But I thought, if "Fort Davis" was in the original title of the song, then it was unlike you not to change it to Dravis :P.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »
lolz.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2011, 07:31:08 AM »
About Deathmatch Overdrive...this one worked out better, and I actually like the meshing of the hard rock with the orchestral music. :) It still had moments when spots didn't match up, but that was usually the fault of the hard rock, and at such moments, it only came across as background noise. If you tuned it out and focused on the orchestral music, it wasn't so bad. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2012, 01:13:19 AM »
Sometimes, when in battle, it is best to admit defeat and make a hasty retreat. One can always return for another go at it, but it may just be the monster you face here is too strong and there simply is no match.

For MONTHS this song has plagued me as being the last incomplete song from my Descent RAVE soundtrack. Well, I have returned to finish it!

Let's see whatch'all think of Slaying With Guns: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=782

I combined "Time for the Big Guns," (the Redbook version of D1 Game22 as heard on the PSX or MAC soundtracks) with "Now Slaying" from Twisted Metal: Small Brawl.

What makes it so friggin' hard to do a mash-up mix is it's odd and irregular beats in the first third of the song. Then, as the song gets past the one third mark, it slows down a bit and has regular beats. I "cheated" and removed the first part of "Time for the Big Guns" and simply blended the intro of the "easier to get along with" Game22, then picked up the rock verson (Time for the Big Guns) about 1/3 of the way through... with added .357 gun sound effects!

So... comments please! I know my first attempt wasn't liked at ALL by anyone. PLEASE let me know how you like/dislike this one.

For reference, the song I mixed with it, "Now Slaying," can be heard at the link below in it's entirety, unedited:
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=781

Lemme know!

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2012, 02:48:15 AM »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets