Poll

Which of the three remixes should I submit to OCRemix?

Don't bother.  They all suck.
1 (20%)
Descent 1 level 13; "Haywire"
0 (0%)
Descent 2 level 3; "Chaos Bolt"
4 (80%)
Don't bother.  They all suck.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: September 21, 2011, 12:51:48 PM

Author Topic: Descent Remixes  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Descent Remixes
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
Descent 1 level 8, "Swarm":

Descent 1 level 13, "Haywire":

Descent 2 level 3, "Chaos Bolt":

Descent 2 level 2, "Midnight Industry"

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:12:02 PM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Descent Remixes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »
I could have gone for either "Chaos Bolt" or "Swarm" ... but "Chaos Bolt" was the one I left playing with out thinking about it ... so I voted for it.

Why only one submission?  Is it only one submission at a time?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »
The last is pretty catchy.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »
Why only one submission?  Is it only one submission at a time?

Yes, and then you have to wait a month before submitting again...  :-X

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:37:45 PM »
Okay, I like Chaos Bolt the best, but OC Remix has a bunch of "1337-esque" judges so you have to go with which one will win them over the best. Personally, Chaos Bolt and Swarm are the most "1337" out of the three, but I vote Swarm. OC Remix is about variations while staying true to the original. While Chaos Bolt is more "catchy," as others put it (and no argument from me there!) Swarm has more of what they're looking for, though I "LIKE" Chaos Bolt better. Who knows, maybe both will make it. Hell, even Haywire could make it. But you want to "woo" them for your first submission (Swarm), then come back stronger for the second submission (Chaos Bolt).

Oh, and keep your submission letter short and sweet. Make it sound like you KNOW you're good in the letter. Show confidence and a little cockiness. Your songs should make it no matter what!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:03:55 AM »
Mmhmn. Not to sound negative or anything (though I fear that no matter how I say this, it'll turn out that way anyway), and not to say that these songs aren't good, but I have to admit that I don't find the likeliness of the OC folk would accept any of these remixes to their collection at the moment. One thing I've noticed about OC is that they can be EXTREMELY picky about the quality of the songs they select, and I've seen songs that sound like outstanding masterpieces that get turned down fairly regularly, and never DO make it on OC.

That doesn't mean that I don't think you can't try, it's just my opinion it's too soon to submit them for judging. I think a better idea would be to send one, or maybe all three, to OC's workshop forum (where all the WIP songs are posted for listening) and get some better peer reviewing there than what we can provide here on PD. The people in OC's workshop forum remix for a living, and have a better idea what to look for in potential songs that could be accepted on OC and know all the technical stuff and that. I think it could only help.

But if you absolutely want to submit one now...then I put my vote on Chaos Bolt. OC does promote songs with variation, that aren't clones of the original songs and so forth, but to be honest, Swarm and Haywire have too much variation, so much so that I'd fear outsiders wouldn't be able to recognize what song you're trying to remix. Chaos Bolt, however, is much more easily recognized, but still has plenty of variation, so I think it'd be your best bet.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:33:13 AM »
Hell yeah they're picky, Scyphi! What I don't understand is how come utter crap can end up on their site, then masterpieces get turned down. It just makes no sense to me. They're a bunch of elitists. They really are.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 11:52:58 AM »
Well, I keep tabs on their WIP forum, and I've seen some even worse songs get nipped in the bud there pretty quickly, thankfully, so be glad it's not worse.

And keep in mind that it does boil down to one's tastes. Some people actually like the kind of music they post. Me, I tend to be a bit picky about music myself, so I don't bother listening to all of them, just the ones that catch my eye.

Usually, though, I have noticed OC is quick to pick on the songs that do show talent, and if they're submission isn't immediately accepted, do try and take the time to try and point the artist in the right direction to make their good song even better. So while it may not always seem like it, they do know a thing or two about music and what a particular song needs to succeed. Which is why I suggested the WIP forum for wazzazzle, with the hopes he could get and benefit from similar advice. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
My definition of "quality" is odd then, because the last time I was looking up Terra's Theme remixes I skipped over about half of them, because they were just way too cheap or generic. The same happens with pretty much any track I look up, actually.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »
i thought it was more by preference; what you like. such as art. some want art to look real; whether it be mountains and a sky, or horses. some want the abstract, some water coolers (or whatever they're called), some that make no sense at all.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 07:35:51 AM »
Well, also keep in mind that OC's been around for a long time, and the standard for what is good music has changed over the years. Back in the beginning, the remixed music does usually pale in comparison to that of today's. As such, they've bumped up the standards.

And there are instances where lesser quality music does get posted, simply because at the end of the day, the judges decided they just liked it as is, and that's their call.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 07:39:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure that a few centuries ago in Europe, anything that wasn't classical music was said to be the work of the devil. ;D

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 07:47:06 AM »
Historically speaking, not even that. "Modern" music as we know it today didn't really start to kick into gear until around the advent of music genres such as jazz and later, rock and roll, and both of those appeared within the twentieth century.

But we're not here to discuss the history of music. :P
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets