Author Topic: Red faction Armegeddon  (Read 3914 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Red faction Armegeddon
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »

This was posted in the Interplay forum, what do you think? Lots of destruction going on but looked like a much slower style of gameplay. And 6DOF? Did not look that way to me, I think they would have shown off with a few rolls and such if it were.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Red faction Armegeddon
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 06:38:06 PM »
I've seen this in at least three other places.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
I saw it first at Interplay's forums.

The similarities are the Cyclone, the OBVIOUS and BEST aiming reticle of all time, and the name of the ship Inferno-GX. :D

I am thinking about getting this Red Faction game. Does anyone know if they have multiplayer with the Inferno-GX?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
what? not FreeSpace 3? At first, I thought it was Freespace, even after reading "Red Faction".

I remember playing the first two Red Faction games.

looks nice I suppose.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:13:51 AM »
The graphics look stunning - but it's a 3rd person title (for gameplay reasons I am seriously questioning, but alas, I don't have any influence on that product). If it was a 1st person title (or at least offer that perspective, at whatever risk or drawbacks for my personal gameplay that would come), I'd certainly purchase it, but since it is 3rd person (apart from the flying sections), it's a no-go for me. Pity.

What's so great about the reticle? It has that superfluous white box around it (nice, but pointless), with shield and energy displays directly attached to it (probably a good idea - /me makes note for new D2X-XL feature). The reticle itself looks totally Descent though, but shows nothing new (not that the Descent reticle was bad).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:16:55 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Crash

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 02:44:48 AM »
Wow!!! I've seen this in precisely 0 other places so I'm happy to have my faith in the gaming industry restored.
Maybe this is basic training 'cos of how she tells you not to crash. He doesn't seem to be facing much/any opposition either.
I wonder if this yellow cyclone-missile type thing is the replacement for the concussion-missile then?
Perhaps it was a rookie-ish player too. He seemed to bump into a couple of things.

Looks beautiful, you're right. Wasn't Red Faction originally a ground-pounding FPS?  Did they decide that they'd exhausted the Descent characters/story but not the format/genre?

I think the boresight is a really nice nod to Descent as well as the blue and yellow gauges. That cockpit is minimal but just right to me (and pretty). You know you're in the ship but it doesn't take up half the screen.
Those dynamic arrows and boxes around targets on the windshield are a nice addition too.

Not thinking about getting it, decision already made!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 04:23:27 AM »
I'm the opposite of you Karx... third-person would probably be my biggest selling point.
I can feel detached from the action so I don't worry as much about the moral implications of what I'm doing (yeah, someone who only knew my gaming habits would probably think I'm a vegetarian - I'm not :P) and I can just enjoy the game.
Each to his own, I understand your viewpoint too.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 05:33:28 AM »
Saw this on Sectorgame, where the comments generally ran the same. Someone suggested possibly using this game as the soundboard to build a new kind of Descent mod, which Hunter stated he'd look into when he got the game, but admitted that given how the gameplay would probably be set up, it didn't sound he was that hopeful.

I, however, have wondered if there's an ulterior motive for this sudden homage back to Descent on Volition's part, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »
Ulterior motives not always bad you mean...

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:15:10 AM »
As I remember correct, Red Faction was originally planned as THE Descent-4. Then, original plans were abandoned, and the game has turned into a groundpounder, and re-titled.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »
As I remember correct, Red Faction was originally planned as THE Descent-4. Then, original plans were abandoned, and the game has turned into a groundpounder, and re-titled.

That's what I was told, and they used some of what was going to be on D4 and placed it on Red Faction. I don't know if it was the engine, the sound, design, name, what, but that's what I was told.

Crash

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
I had a quick look at the Wikipedia article about this game. Is this spacecraft-piloting section only a small section of the game with the rest being normal ground-pounding?

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
Yes.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets