Author Topic: What show did you watch that had the worst science?  (Read 8602 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: What show did you watch that had the worst science?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
I would assume that a minimum takeoff/landing speed would be for organization issues. Take too long landing or taking off would cause traffic jams and honking horns.

I think that there is one show that we can watch on "our favorite science fiction channel." Eureka!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
I would assume that a minimum takeoff/landing speed would be for organization issues. Take too long landing or taking off would cause traffic jams and honking horns.

I think that there is one show that we can watch on "our favorite science fiction channel." Eureka!
No, that's definitely not it. Imagine this scenario:

*Completely clear launch bay ahead and behind*
"OMG IM COMING IN TOO HOT!"
"PUNCH IT UR NOT GONNA MAKE IT!"

wut?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 09:16:51 PM »
Are cartoons not permitted with the question "What show did you watch that had the worst science?"?

I can think of some pretty horrendous "science" in some Saturday cartoons.

Otherwise, I'd have to say ANY of the Power Ranger shows were pretty bad science... but those were after my day, so I'd have to go with Spectreman! Here's a
video clip

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 06:22:41 AM »
Power Rangers had bad plots to begin with. I have never understood how that show has been able to survive for as long as it has.

Quote from: Vanguard
syfy, scyphi. hm... I had to say something.

You'd be right. My username IS a play on the term "sci-fi," but I happened to come up with it long before I even knew the Syfy channel existed, back when it was still the "Sci-Fi" channel (see, our cable doesn't include the Syfy channel, so it wasn't really until the advent of watching shows online, and a slip-up our cable company made once that enabled us to get the channel for a brief while, that I found out it even existed).

Personally, I think "Scyphi" is cleverer than "Syfy"...but as it happens, it also is a real word (I did not know this when I "made it up"). This is what it's supposed to mean.

Quote from: Foil
Oh, and I'm with Scyphi; once Stargate Universe ends, there won't be much on that network I'll want to see

Wow, I didn't think anybody was actually going to agree with me on that. I mean, most people seem to hate the poor show. Have you seen it's ratings? They're actually pretty pathetic, no wonder it was opted to cancel it. But it'll be a pity, because it really IS a good show in it's own right.

Quote from: Omega

EUReKA has it's moments, but it also has moments where I am forced to inwardly cringe. It's very hit and miss with that show. Therefore, I haven't decided if I really want to keep watching it lately.

It's got a great theme song, though. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 06:26:24 AM »
Editorial on the decline of the SyFy network:

"How Wrestling is Killing Science Fiction"

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
Wrestling isn't killing Science Fiction, it's killing SyFy. And it's not just the wrestling. It's all the stupid paranormal and reality TV crap they air most nights, and the fact that they choose to have very little variety. You tune in for the same kind of show for hours and hours, where most channels throw in a nice mix of different kinds of shows. I'd give anything for a nightly rerun of the good oldies, anything star trek, etc.

Like the article says, moving to Tuesday was a huge mistake. Making a decision based on that when literally everyone was telling them it was the timeslot, not the show, was even stupider. Both Caprica and SGU were a bit slow to start, but they really got moving... right before they cancelled them. More than just the timeslot, it was pretty poorly advertised. If I hadn't been watching some other show a week before it started at the right time, I'd have never even known SGU was starting. Caprica I completely missed, luckily my DVR didn't.

There was another new show, kind of similar to Eureka, but not quite, I can't remember the name, I think it started with an S. The tagline was "Welcome to [some place]". That actually kept my kind of interested for the few episodes I watched, and I haven't heard heads nor tales of it since. Even warehouse 13 I haven't really heard anything about.

Part of their problem is that there's not enough classic Sci Fi on anymore to even get people watching to even know that some of their new/returning shows are starting.

Hey look, we're off-topic again!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 04:41:59 PM »
Wrestling on the ScyFy Channel has the worst science :P
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »
Yeah, it makes no sense to have it there IMO.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
We need a reality show about failing TV execs. We can start with Syfy.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »
Figured out the show I was thinking of. Saw a comemrcial for it while watching the SGU I recorded :P Haven is the name.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
Quote from: Matthew
We need a reality show about failing TV execs. We can start with Syfy.

How about failing TV execs and falling axes... IN SPACE! :P
:giggle:
And it has to have terrible science... the TV execs should be able to breathe without air.  And the axes should fall even though they're orbiting the Earth and Saturn (it would take place in orbit around Earth and Saturn).  The failing execs can't talk in space obviously... but the falling axes can, and do. :D ;D
Also, the falling axes are the main characters/points of the show... not the TV execs.

It will be called: 'Butchering the Butchers of Science'.  (Okay that is a little mean...) :-X

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 08:51:30 PM »
Trololo?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets