Poll

Why you get things

You made it
Friend made it
Family made it
Friend/Family recomended
It's good
It looks cool

Author Topic: Experimenting with stuff  (Read 3701 times)

Offline X-ray

• Silver
Experimenting with stuff
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »
I was walking around and started wondering 'Do people choose thing over others because who made it or because how good is it?' So that's why this is here and feel free to post experiments you did. :)

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
Re: Experimenting with stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »
Well, generally I tend to choose things which are good to me (according to my own judgement) and I don't care who made it or where it came from, as long as it's good enough. :)

Of course, I may do exceptions but that's the main way I take.

Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
I try to do that too, I don't really care about companies or brands unless they've done something really bad and I want them to go out of business :cough: BP :cough:.  If I don't like the brand image, but I like the product, then there's no reason not to use it (Pepsi).  If I like the brand image but I don't like the product, I'm not going to waste my money.
But oil never gets my business anyway since I don't drive.

Whenever I find something that's really expensive, I usually have a friend or family member who has it, so if I ask nicely I can try before I buy (PSP).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:07:47 PM by wazzazzle »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:12:38 AM »
I'm not too picky about brands and the such either. It's really more about where I buy it from and what their prices and/or customer service is like over others.

For example, I generally try to avoid buying much of anything from K-Mart. Never been particularly fond of that supermarket franchise, but to be fair, it's more about our local K-Mart in particular. In all seriousness, it probably should've gone out of business years ago, but somehow it manages to hang in there with the trickle of customers it seems to be getting. It's one of those puzzles of life for me. Y'know, like why the universe exists, and what's the meaning the life, and why the heck this particular K-Mart hasn't gone out of business. Just the important questions to ponder, see. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:10:45 AM »
I chose recommend, but the stuff that is recommended is not always best. However, when you are not familiar with a product and don't know if it is good or bad, a recommendation from someone you trust is the best way to go. Because the question is why you get things, not why you keep them.

In the end you will keep and use the stuff you do because you feel it is the best.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:56:47 AM »
Well, it depends on th "stuff" that I'm going to buy... But I look for quality first, then the price.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:24:22 AM »
usually I go by name brand. Sometimes I'll get it because it relates to something, regardless of name brand, unless that brand is really bad.

Offline X-ray

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:50:11 AM »
I'm glad to see no one chose 'You made it'. I chose it's good. I don't care who the maker is unless it's some person I have a grudge against.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 11:12:10 AM »
Generally, I think "Who made it" and "How good it is" goes hand in hand. There are certain companies who you know made good products, and you buy things that they make because you assume that it will be good. For example, I tend to buy computer parts from companies other people have said are good, or companies I've had good experiences with, regardless of whether or not I know that specific product is good.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets