Author Topic: Desktops 2011  (Read 75478 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Re: Desktops 2011
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
Okay as promised, here's June 2011. June is "World 6: Palm Cove" of my Mario Map Calendar series. Currency this month is the Sand Dollar. I introduce a new weapon, the Ice Flower. Instead of traveling from island to island by boat, you travel via Ice Flower, freezing the ocean as you skid along it. Background objective is to rescue the mermaids which unlocks Star Island where you climb the tower, battle Roy Koopa, then get inside Tatanga's space ship and go to... July... World 7... The Moon!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »
Looks like the Super mario 3 layout on Nintendo, that sort of look. I also noticed why they call it Titi Island. Kind of surprised they'd show anything like that.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
LOL the mermaids are custom sprites ;-)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2011, 01:52:29 AM »
July 2011, World 7 - The Moon

By the way, I edited the ending of World 6 a little. Instead of chasing the launched rocket from 6/28 on the ship that appears on 6/30, the rocket launches and RESTS on an empty space atop the cloud on 6/30 and you ride THAT rocket into World 7. 7/1-7/2 are outer space levels, or "days" and on 7/3 you land on The Moon.

The side objective for the moon world is to activate 6 red antennas that turn from red to green. For each antenna that turn green, it slowly exhumes that ship you originally saw at the end of 6/30 from my last post.

The exhumation of Tatanga's ship will slowly emerge throughout the month in the middle of the largest crater. It has 6 exhumation phases before it's flyable at 7/31, but as you're going through July, an alien Mario battled at the end of the gameboy game "Super Mario Land" by the name of Tatanga chases Mario and hides behind various moon rocks until finally he takes a hold of his ship (which is Tatanga's actual ship from the game) at the last minute and he becomes the boss to World 7, The Moon. The battle (if this were an actual game) would take place in space on the way back to Earth. Finally, Tatanga's ship will crash in the midst of a barren desert, becoming World 8 - Camel Sandhills. That's next.

There's also one HUGE moon rock in the middle of the moon that takes three bombs to be blasted. Several bomb shops are posted around World 7. Mario travels around the moon for the entire month in a Hammer Suit because I always thought it looks a lot like a space suit. The crash landing that will occur on Earth will cause Hammer Mario to shrink down to little Mario but not quite kill him. The first parts of World 8 will be the scavenging of various power-ups.

So here it is... The Moon! A totally different kind of Mario world in the format of SMB3.

SIDENOTE: Also, notice my commemoration to the 7/20/1969 moonlanding. I HAD to add that!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:54:55 AM by Alieo »

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
For this month I decided to randomize some of the wallpapers that I have for my desktop
#1, Evening Patrol-

source-
http://alexwild.deviantart.com/art/quot-Evening-Patrol-quot-41611843?q=favby%3Asapphirewolf3057%2F11361217&qo=69

#2, Lil' Optimus-

source-
http://www.lilformers.com/Goodies/Wallpapers/LFwallpaper05.jpg

#3, Metroid Prime-

Source-
found it somewhere on google, but I forgot where

#4, Timberwolves-

Source-
http://www.classicbattletech.com/images/gallery/Classic_BattleTech_Technical_Readout_3050_Upgrade_Cover@1024x768.jpg

#5, Wheel of Portal (sorry for the bad quality)-

Source-
http://gaeamil.deviantart.com/art/Wheel-Of-Portal-70755937?q=favby%3Asapphirewolf3057%2F11361217&qo=53
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, 08:03:25 PM »
nice ship wallpaper :)

I'm not getting the wheel of fortune thing. I'm assuming part of it is "That was a (something something something) chance"..wait....."that was a joke, haha fat chance?

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »

I'm not getting the wheel of fortune thing. I'm assuming part of it is "That was a (something something something) chance"..wait....."that was a joke, haha fat chance?

well, the blue bar on the bottom reads "Maybe Black Mesa?". ;)
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »
Metroid Prime!  ;D

I'd post my desktop, but right now I'm using Ubuntu 11.04, and it's Unity interface is pretty poor... Not sure I want to show off such an ill-conceived taskbar as the one mine has currently got. And plus, it currently has a stock wallpaper ::gaspshockhorror::  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 03:54:44 AM »
i dont know what that means. I guess a simple google or something may say so though.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, 06:11:02 AM »

I didn't get that either.  So I followed the link and there was some reference to Portal, and the song at the end. I assume the puzzle was 'shopped.  Since I never completed Portal, as it was the most boring game ever, I never heard the end song.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2011, 06:27:33 AM »
During the final song of Portal, GlaDOS, the malicious (and very funny) supercomputer sings a song about staying alive. During the song, she suggests you go to Black Mesa - the location of the "resonance cascade" (otherwise known as pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo) that caused the space-time rift in Half-Life, populating the world with alien creatures. The line goes "Maybe Black Mesa? That was a joke, ha ha, fat chance." Therefore, the wheel of fortune puzzle.

It would really only be humorous if you played the game. And if you didn't find it boring, like WillyP did. That saddens me.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 06:33:11 AM »
It also saddens me to hear this as well, but despite popular belief, apparently Portal really ISN'T everybody's cup of tea.

Word of advice to WillyP then. If you found the first Portal boring, then don't play Portal 2, cuz' it's triple the original's length.

...but it goes against everything I believe in (gaming wise) to say that, just so you know. :P

As for the pic, I saw that pic ages ago, and I believe linked to it once in some old thread on here where we were discussing the then-still unreleased Portal 2. I laughed out loud when I figured out what it said, but it really something you have to figure out yourself. If you have to have someone else explain it to you, then it's not so funny.  :-\

As for desktops, I haven't changed mine yet, but I've been considering it.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 06:34:48 AM »
I wonder what it really was.

I guess it makes sense now, just never played Portal. Never really heard of it. I think it's safe to assume now is the time to run and hide.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:31 AM »
May want to get something to shield yourself with before we start hurling stuff at you...

...like potatoes...

...or cake...

...maybe a bullet-filled turret or two...

:P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2011, 07:07:28 AM »
i have a riot shield from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. As long as I keep my back against the wall, I'm okay. Unlike my cousin who played against me with a riot shield.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets