Author Topic: Descent with Anti-Aliasing on ATI cards  (Read 14552 times)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
Re: Descent with Anti-Aliasing on ATI cards
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 08:30:59 AM »
P.S. My son is 2, and likes to sit up on my lap and watch a game of D3 for a few minutes.  "Daddy, get that wo-bot!"  :D

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »
Sounds like me when I was little, Foil :)

You can always disable audio taunts. I generally do anyway, and I've already heard every word under the sun :P

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 09:57:57 PM »
X2
except that my dad was playing WingCommander (ah the good times)

As for Audio Taunts, I don't use them anymore, so I also disabled them

and as for the Anti Aliasing, I might give that a try
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 06:22:03 AM »
I remember Techpro playing Descent as far back as when I was five, which I remember always sitting and avidly watching him play, and was probably doing it from an even younger age (though it couldn't have been by much). My little bro also first started playing the game when he was three, and got the hang of it surprisingly fast. As for me, despite such early exposure to the game, I didn't start playing it myself until I was in my teens.

As for audio taunts, thankfully for us, Techpro cleaned out all of the "unwanted" audio taunts well before any of us children even knew D3 had 'em. Not that we make that much use of them, anyway. They're actually kind of distracting from the gameplay.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 07:35:38 AM »
As for audio taunts, thankfully for us, Techpro cleaned out all of the "unwanted" audio taunts well before any of us children even knew D3 had 'em. Not that we make that much use of them, anyway. They're actually kind of distracting from the gameplay.  :-\

This is why I never used audio taunts. They're too distracting and in my opinion, it just doesn't give me that Descent feeling.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »
I use them in some cases -- I like to give some of my (hundreds of) pilots a theme (the ones that are characters), and taunts (audio taunts and taunt macros) can really help describe their "personality".
I made all of The N.I.P's taunt macros into the names of scheme cards from Magic's Archenemy game type.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »
the only taunt I ever liked was my strifeguy "nope" taunt, because it actually was a taunt and a quite silly one at that.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
I think if one started with audio taunts, it may be nice. For me, I have played it for years without it, so hearing it makes it very unnatural.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »
I use audio taunts just for fun.  My kids use the audio taunts the same way.  The taunts serve just one purpose... fun.  Nothing more.  Which is why they are annoying to some, and essential to others.  It all depends on if you want to be laughing while playing ... or deadly serious.

I'll go for laughing every time ... otherwise it's not a 'game'.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »
my laughs are more like "on the other side, grabbed the flag and person on other team doesn't see me behind them as they fly towards my home base." or "smart missile after me, and I run behind my own teammate and see them die from it."

Funny moments.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 06:40:18 AM »
"on the other side, grabbed the flag and person on other team doesn't see me behind them as they fly towards my home base."

I love doing that.  8)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
happened once with me. I had to follow a magnum to the half way point and then went as fast as I could when he went in the center area of varicose veins.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
uh yea, I'd be too busy trying to shoot him for subtleties like that!  ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »
Yep, that's the thing.  If I'm running the flag (as I often do, I LOVE being a CTF flag-runner), I have to remind myself not to shoot at the enemy if it would give away my position. 

It doesn't work against experienced players who keep an eye on their rearview, but I've made a number of runs by pausing a moment, and then following the enemy out of their own base.  8)

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 12:51:53 AM »
I once made a flag-run in Varicose Veins against a tough opponent-I simply made a run for it, in a Pyro, and he(she?) was pursuing me with a Phoenix... and firing Mass Driver! It WAS a frantic run, but I SCORED!!!

And that was the only score we got...

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets