Author Topic: Unfamiliar with this one...  (Read 15053 times)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
Re: Unfamiliar with this one...
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
If you want the best graphics (including those vapour/smoke trails, etc.), it's definitely D2X-XL.

Crash

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 07:37:44 AM »
Thanks for your advice.
Wish I could put it into practice right away but will wait for Friday when this contract law essay is submitted.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
I hate it when pesky 'ol school gets in the way of Descent! I just started back yesterday, and just yesterday got D2X-XL operating beautifully.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
You guys are making me want to jump back in old-school Descent again.  :) 

I think I will.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »
Hey, it's entirely worth it!

As for ports, I'm a purist with many of my games, so the only thing you'll usually hear me recommending is DXX-Rebirth

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »
Is DXX-Rebirth more focused on the "vintage" aspect and compatibility with modern OS's than the OOHs and AHHs of D2X-XL?

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 04:19:24 AM »
Pretty much. While there's a few new features here and there and a new OpenGL renderer it's still pretty much the descent you had back in 1995

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 06:22:56 AM »
It can also boil down to what your computer can handle. I love D2X-XL, but it is a bit of a resource hog at times, and it can't even begin to run on my laptop. So instead I use Rebirth instead. Which is great too, I've come to realize through this arrangement that some levels were just meant to be played the classic way. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 01:15:20 PM »
This is going against the direction of this topic as far as appreciating the vintage aspects of D1, which I MOST definitely do... but, do y'all know if anyone has converted the entire D1 hog to a D3 version?

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 02:52:15 PM »
but, do y'all know if anyone has converted the entire D1 hog to a D3 version?
I don't think that's possible, the formats between the two games are just way too different. Sure, converting the HOG to HOG2 would be easy but Descent III probably wouldn't be able to do anything with the file.

Now, people have recreated bits of Descent 1/2 levels and the like, but they usually play different
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:53:51 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 02:54:40 PM »
Yeah... it would probably have to be done manually to be done right. I've seen a D3 rendition someone did years back on Lunar Outpost... but I've been away from the online Descent community for about 8 years so I was wondering if someone had made something in that time.  :P

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »
The geometry methods are too foreign to permit migrating the D1 stuff to D3.  It's been discussed a few times.  D1 and D2 use cube geometry.  D3 does not and there is no means to convert the D1/D2 formats to D3.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »
... And to make things worse, walls and doors are handled waaaay different on D1/2 compared to D3.

On D3, doors, grates and stuff are actually 3D objects (sometimes even carved on level's structure) while on D1/2 door and grates are no more than 2-sided flat planes with the corresponding textures on them.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 06:28:24 AM »
There is a converter to convert D1/ D2 levels to D3.  It works, but there is a lot of work to finish the level.  No doors, many faces flipped the wrong way, and it makes the whole level one big room.  Still, if you wanted to re-create d1 levels authentically in D3, it would save having to create all the rooms from scratch.  You would have to figure out what to do with doors, as in D3 a door is a room with volume, so you would have to create them from scratch, and remove some space from the room they attach to.

And as Pumi said, the grates in D1/ D2 are 2d textures.  I guess you could put a 2d texture with transparency in D3, but that would be pretty lame compared to actually constructing a grate in 3d faces.  Check out the grates in my IceFactor level.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 06:49:08 AM »
Theoretically, it's possible, it's just that no one wants to take the effort to do it. Even with the converter, just building one level would be a lot of effort.

In fact, now that I think about it, the Lunar Outpost level Alieo is remembering I think was made with the converter, and it's dimensions were off (aka, the tunnels were all a bit too big). I've seen one of Ahaway Gate (D2 lvl 1) that was made into a D3 level the same way that had the same issue. Among other things.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets