Author Topic: Unfamiliar with this one...  (Read 15048 times)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
Re: Unfamiliar with this one...
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »
I'm a bit taken aback that so many of you guys had never heard that part before.  It's certainly odd, but it's been part of the D2 Redbook since I can remember.

I actually really enjoy most of the Redbook tracks, and still pop the D2 CD in my car just to listen once in a long while.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 10:12:47 AM »
I remember I also heard that part since the first time I played D2.
I agree with Foil, it's odd that a lot of players here didn't pay attention to that part of the song in years!  :P

I also Like the D2 redbook a lot.
Well, I'm a huge Descent music fan, so I enjoy everything from D1 Midis and PSX/MAC soundtrack, D2 Redbook & Midis and D3 Retribution and Mercenary soundtracks! :D
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »
Well, I had never heard it, because I hardly ever played the Redbook soundtracks on D2. I always preferred the midis. And the copy I have in my playlist apparently did not come from the CD like I first thought but somewhere else, so I'd like to think I thereby have an excuse. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 07:03:27 PM »
I finally got around to listening to the link in the OP ... Yep, that's one of the Redbook tracks.   One of the reasons I much preferred to listen to the midi music for Descent 2 ... if I played Descent with music on (I usually turn the music off).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 05:45:36 AM »
I prefer the midi myself. the mac version of descent 1 was nice, those 13 tracks they give you on a CD. One or two aren't too bad I guess, but most are pretty nice.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 09:15:14 AM »
The MIDI is the best. D2's are my favorite eventhough there's only a few compaired to D1. They never get old.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
I didn't particularly like the level 1 midi but all the others (briefing, credits, title, level 2, level 3, and level 4) were classic.  Especially level 3 with its "cool" sound and eerie choirs.  That's still one of my favourite songs by Dan Wentz (and it's one of the two songs I think of when I think of Dan Wentz's music -- the other is Two Ton Heavy Thing from Red Faction).  The D3 and especially Mercenary music was also very similar to the D2 midis (moreso than to any other kind of Descent music).  It would be cool to find out what the song titles were (I could probably just ask when he responds to my Miner Wars contribution).
The Parallax levels themselves in D2 seem to have been made to fit the midis rather than the other way around.  For example, the second level of each planet in D2 Counterstrike is always the spookiest one (just like the level 2 music was spookiest).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:33:16 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »
There is one part in D1, Level 7 that although sounds a little old school, like Zelda or something, isn't really in the updated version that is on here. I'm assuming the midi still has it, but I have no software to play it.

It's at 2:18. It use to be more clear and took over the sound more.
sort of miss that little tune. use to always look forward to hearing it

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 09:34:53 AM »
I think I know which part you're talking about, but I haven't seen the D1 level 7 music on here...
(Maybe I could upload the mix that I did in FL Studio a while back).

I don't like but a few songs from the Redbook. 3 of them are good. Gunner Down is kinda a 4th and it is great until it gets to the wierd screaming part. >: (

Lol, yeah that part was wierd.  Are they seagulls or bikini models? (That was seriously my first thought when I heard that part).  It makes me think of a beach full of sunbathers being invaded by the Juggernaut from D3.
May I ask which D2 Redbook songs were your top 3?  (I bet I know at least one of them, and I can guess the other two).
I'm guessing it's Cold Reality, Are You Descent?, and Crush (because they're the ones that are the least wierd).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:02:20 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 12:00:24 PM »
This is a remix of Game07 MIDI I did in 2007. I wanted to make it sound more like the old OPL3 version. It's called "Super Hulk Hoedown"

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=301
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Crash

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Haunted was always my favourite track. I only owned D2, never D1.
Were the CDs' soundtracks basically the same?

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 05:12:20 PM »
Nope! Check out this post. I listed links on youtube that you can hear D1 Redbook songs.

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?topic=616.0

Crash

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »
That's very interesting - thanks!
Is a lot of data there. Might be clearer to make it a table that shows which track appears in which game.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
That track order is my own interpretation of which Redbook songs correlate to the D1 and D2 MIDI songs. I personally refuse to believe that they just made these Redbook songs from scratch. They've HAD to have something to go by, and the correlations I put down I believe match their MIDI counterparts of the D1 MIDI song order. For D2 MIDIs "Game01-Game04," I simply continued D1 numbering and made them "Game23-Game26."

Perhaps this is the list you were looking for:

Descent PSX Levels
List of Songs used in the Playstation version of Descent

Track numbers are from the Descent MAC Redbook Audio
Titles for the tracks are from http://www.moviemusicnow.com/movies/descent (Scroll down past the Descent movie crap and you'll see the track listing at the bottom.)

MENU Virtual Tension (Game02 Lunar Scilab Remix)

BRIEFING (Silence) (Computer-read briefing statements)

CREDITS T-05 Ether in the Air (Credits Remix)

EXIT T-04 The Escape (Exiting the Mine BGM, cinematic version)
Score screen after each level: Outerlimits (Briefing Music Theme Remix)

LEVEL 01 T-07 Virtual Tension (Game02 Lunar Scilab Remix)

LEVEL 02 T-02 Hydraulic Pressure (Game18 Miranda Mine Remix)

LEVEL 03 T-08 Time for the Big Guns (Game22 Neptune Storage Depot Remix)

LEVEL 04 Not That Button! (Game07 Mercury Core Remix)

LEVEL 05 T-14 A Big Problem (Game14 Gandymede CO2 Mine Remix)

LEVEL 06 T-02 Primitive Rage (Descent Main Title Theme)

LEVEL 07 T-12 Industrial Accident (Game06 Mercury Solar Lab Remix)

LEVEL 08 Haunted (Instrumental Remix) (Not featured on the Descent MAC Soundtrack) http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=300

LEVEL 09 Rusty (Not featured on the Descent MAC Soundtrack) http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=290

LEVEL 10 T-09 Mystery Metal (Game03 Lunar Military Base Remix)

LEVEL 11 T-06 Robotic Menace (Game12 Callisto Tower Colony Remix)

LEVEL 12 T-07 Virtual Tension (Game02 Lunar Scilab Remix)

LEVEL 13 Ratzez (Not featured on the Descent MAC Soundtrack) http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=291

LEVEL 14 T-12 Industrial Accident (Game06 Mercury Solar Lab Remix)

LEVEL 15 T-07 Virtual Tension (Game02 Lunar Scilab Remix)

LEVEL 16 T-08 Time for the Big Guns (Game22 Neptune Storage Depot Remix)

LEVEL 17 T-12 Industrial Accident (Game06 Mercury Solar Lab Remix)

LEVEL 18 Not That Button! (Game07 Mercury Core Remix)

LEVEL 19 T-14 A Big Problem (Game14 Gandymede CO2 Mine Remix)

LEVEL 20 T-02 Hydraulic Pressure (Game18 Miranda Mine Remix)

LEVEL 21 T-02 Primitive Rage (Descent Main Title Theme)

LEVEL 22 T-12 Industrial Accident (Game06 Mercury Solar Lab Remix)

LEVEL 23 Rusty (Not featured on the Descent MAC Soundtrack) http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=290

LEVEL 24 T-09 Mystery Metal (Game03 Lunar Military Base Remix)

LEVEL 25 T-06 Robotic Menace (Game12 Callisto Tower Colony Remix)

LEVEL 26 T-08 Time for the Big Guns (Game22 Neptune Storage Depot Remix)

LEVEL 27 T-12 Industrial Accident (Game06 Mercury Solar Lab Remix)

LEVEL S1 T-02 Hydraulic Pressure (Game18 Miranda Mine Remix)

LEVEL S2 T-08 Time for the Big Guns (Game22 Neptune Storage Depot Remix)

LEVEL S3 Not That Button! (Game07 Mercury Core Remix)

On the MAC Soundtrack, but not featured in the PSX version:
T-13 Overdrive (Game09 Mars Military Dig Remix)

HIDDEN on the PSX disc, but not a song in ANY level is the FULL version of Glut:
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=295

I'm 110% confident in the level-song association track order of these songs. The PSX version of D1 is what I grew up with and is what I went out and bought after trying the demo on my aunt's "new" Windows 95 computer in the summer of '96. D1 demo came with her computer. I never owned the PC version of D1 until 2000 and I was shocked to find out that the songs didn't loop after level 5! lol!

As a side note: I don't know the logic in the developers' order in the songs. They seem to be randomly placed around after level 13, yet they only use Haunted and Ratzez once, and use Industrial Accident SEVERAL times when they could have replaced one or two of those with the hidden Glut track that's on there. But, everytime I ago to level 25, I always am reminded of Robotic Menace, not necessarily the Game12 version of it, but the remix Allister Brimble did of it. It really matches being on a "Pluto Outpost." Also, it could be that that song is just my first stone-ground impression of the level because like I said, I grew up with the PSX version.

Another note, The PSX version had cleaner loops of the songs. Yes, they would repeat in-level, but the songs weren't extended to seven minute songs like in the MAC version. They were generally 3-5 minutes each with no excess.

As for Level 13's Ratzez, the reason I think that the PSX version cut out the "WEE WOO" part of Ratzez in the PSX version is because it gets quieter in the end, although, in that Ratzez I have the link to that says "PSX Ratzez," I leveled out the volume towards the end because when it comes to Descent music, I am beyond a psychotic obsessive compulsive perfectionist! LOL

Crash

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »
You've done an awesome job researching this. I love that.

I'm gonna have to break out Descent 2 and give it a spin. Is D2X-XL the best way to go? Should I get any further enhancements to get some extra visual polish?

I saw an interesting vid on youtube of someone firing the superlasers in D2 with white vapour trails behind them.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets