Author Topic: October Desktops Mang!  (Read 10222 times)

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
Re: October Desktops Mang!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 10:24:43 PM »
The humble netbook desktop. It's running a wallpaper slideshow BTW.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »
Aaah! Clutter!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 12:59:12 PM »
it could be much, much worse.

I used to be one of those guys who unloaded everything and their dog onto the desktop. Then I got rid of all of my downloads and filed them elsewhere. Then I removed everything except for a folder randomly named "Temp" because it started as an experiment but quickly became a temp file dump. Then I removed that and all of my program icons, filed them into a launcher named KwikStrip, and ended up with this

I used to use the Vista sidebar a bit (if only for the little cpu/memory usage gauge gadget) back when I used vista, but I turned it off when I realized it wasn't bringing much while interfering with KwikStrip

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
S-Priest's desktop looks very organized and functional, plus you can clearly view the background with minimal obstruction.  Very ideal.

An example of a truly cluttered desktop: http://cybernetnews.com/new-poll-how-clean-is-your-desktop/

or even worse ...
http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy/architecture/soa/How-to-de-clutter-your-desktop/0,339028264,339302671,00.htm
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:29:29 PM by TechPro »

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 06:32:40 PM »
Tech: it's two custom shells, Geoshell+EVWM. EVWM provides two menus, App and Task Manager (the app menu is open). The task manager menu allows killing/hiding/closing apps, and switching to any window (even hidden). Geoshell is still being maintained, the concept is bars. Bars with plugins, and there're plugins for anything - tasks, system tray, application shortcuts, clock, command line, Winamp and other player controllers, etc. Bars can be always on top, partially transparent, raised/hidden, etc. It's very useful, and with minimum clutter. And there's a plugin which reads the standard Windows Start Menu (plus all system shell directories: control panel, net connections, etc.).

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »
An example of a truly cluttered desktop: http://cybernetnews.com/new-poll-how-clean-is-your-desktop/
The quick launch there reminds me a ton of the tray on my friend's computer. He has practically all of those little weather-trackers running and a whole bunch of other things, and sets it to never hide.

On his small monitor, I had no idea how he could use the taskbar.

Offline Canceler

• Silver
  • reee!
    • visit my plebsite
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 07:30:45 AM »
found this one last night
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 10:41:32 AM »
I don't see what the big issue with icons on the desktop is, some people will see it as clutter, others as handy, hey whatever works for you. Sometimes I like to put things on the desktop to remind me I was going to do something with them.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 12:05:48 PM »
What I mean was that half his screen was covered up when he took the screenshot of his desktop. Not that his desktop was cluttered.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »
Well here's my desktop. Same as it's been for the past 3 years, +/- a few icons, + a new screen.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »
I'm replacing Zero temporarily just cuz I like my Typhoon. :)

"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
Wow, very nice, Z!  That's probably the coolest SoH ship design I've seen.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 02:12:08 PM »
Mipmapping (perhaps with anisotropic filtering) would probably make those little black grate things look a ton better

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »
Here is my desktop, still the same picture it has been for a couple months now, but Ive added a couple new Game/Tool icons.
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »
Since icon shots are all the rage appearantly, here's my current KwikStrip:

The dual-d3 icons are for the game itself and d3.descent.cx, respectively. The dual serious sam icons are for the first and second encounters. and the blanks are results of a few hd moves.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets