Author Topic: My First Build! :D  (Read 12262 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: My First Build! :D
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 05:24:07 PM »
Make sure you at east find out the specs on your PSU, you won't want a poor PSU with that video card. Personally I run an Antec Earthwatts 550W, and it hasn't given me any troubles. Runs cool and quiet most of the time, and on the rare occasion that it doesn't, the video card far overshadows it and you won't even notice.

Why all the vista-bashing? I run vista and I have yet to run into any of the issues you guys are complaining about.

Windows 7 costs money to upgrade to. A significant amount, if it's anything like Vista, though I haven't checked.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 06:10:29 PM »
Why all the vista-bashing? I run vista and I have yet to run into any of the issues you guys are complaining about.
It depends on how you use it. For the way I use my computer (which is not non-standard, by the way), I found it was just too hard to do what I wanted, or it didn't support it. (the simple fact alone that changing MIDI volume in many programs was broken is just sad)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:09:30 AM »
Matthew,

why don't you just read a bit about Vista compared to Windows 7? It will be quite enlightening to you.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 03:16:45 AM »
I never said Win7 was not better. I just said it wasn't worth spending 50$.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 06:10:38 AM »
In my experience (I have two of each, including my Vista gaming rig, Win7 development machine, and Win7 media center), Win7 is fundamentally almost the same as Vista.  There are very very few differences in the kernel.  Heck, the driver structure is basically identical.

Both have been considerably more stable than any other OS I've used (yes, that includes XP and Ubuntu, both of which crashed on me periodically).

The major difference I've seen is that Win7 seems to perform a bit better, particularly for running services.  The rest of the differences are mostly interface-related.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 10:12:37 AM »
You are right Foil, Win7 is Vista SP 2. :P

Matthew, what are you relating Win7 to when you state it isn't worth spending $50 for it?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »
In my experience, at my work we had a LOT less trouble with systems running XP than Vista, with most Vista related issues being with user access rights (despite have Admin rights), Print Spooler issues, program compatibility issues, blah blah, while most issues we have seen with Vista were nearly all gone after switching to Win7, plus performance often improved significantly even better than running a fairly trim XP installation.

For example, I currently work with a lot of 3.2ghz Intel P4 systems that ran nicely with XP but would frequently fail with Vista.  When we put Win7 on the same machines (each time, clean build), the machines were rock steady, reliable, and issue free.  Plus they way out performed any OS we'd had on them previously.  That's just one example.

Vista may work well for some.  I know a lot of people where I work (a University) that their tech has not upgraded them from Vista yet ... and they are doing fine.

If it works for ya, enjoy.  Me, I'll go Win7 first chance, and I'll willing pay the extra $50 if necessary.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
I had the same experience with vista. It was flashy but it never worked as well as XP for me, resulting in my downgrade.

I'm still on XP, but I'm going to be putting Windows 7 on a secondary partition (sorry, not good enough to be my main) once I get my upgraded hard drive.

Windows 7 does depend heavily on the computer though. Despite the general trend that it works better than vista speed-wise and all of that, that is not always the case

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
You are right Foil, Win7 is Vista SP 2. :P

Matthew, what are you relating Win7 to when you state it isn't worth spending $50 for it?
I'm comparing it to simply staying with vista. Why would I spend 50$ when vista is working fine for me? Why would I spend 50$ for what essentially amounts to a service pack?

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
Bit of an update.

Ive bought the Video Card, CD Drive and Motherboard. They should be here in 2 days or so. And I will be going to Fry's Electronics this sunday to get everything else.

To anyone else wishing to buy components for their PC, I greatly reccomend Fry's! Awesome deals there!  :D
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 11:23:15 AM »
My Motherboard, CD Drive, and Video Card are supposed to arrive tommorow, and my CPU is supposed to arrive on thursday. And once my dad gets home from his buisness trip, im going to get everything else and build it!  :D
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 05:12:49 PM »
Ooh you're lucky.

You get to do this when you're 14... I'm 20 and I haven't got to do it ever :(

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 06:43:09 PM »
All I did was save christmas money and cut bushes and mow the lawns. It isnt too hard. Just alot of waiting. Ive had to save my money 3-4 years for this.. :o

But you are 20, and you make more money than I do since you actually have a real job, so it might be a bit easier for you.  :P

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »
I want to do something like this over the summer when I get a real job, but I'm torn between car and computer. So far car is winning.  ::)

Offline Fennecfox

• Silver
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
Yeah, the way I was able to afford is that I have never spent my spent my money very much before.  I also had a job that I worked over full time for 5 weeks which gave a lot of the money (very low salary  :P).

Remember to have fun and learn (you will learn)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets