Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 190841 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #630 on: March 04, 2012, 07:31:50 AM »

Quote from: Kaiaastel
One new thing I think the pyro should definitley be able to do is "mount" large machinery (or large vehicles) and operate or pilot them.  This could also make for some cool bosses (mercenaries piloting a robot?).
I like the idea, but I can also immediately see the Sonic inspiration from that, so finding some way to shake it up and make it different would probably be a good idea.

Yeah the boss idea is Sonic inspired :P, but the general idea isn't -- I think the game needs to have something like the vehicle parts in pretty much every modern shooter even though in this case the entire game would be inside a vehicle.

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #631 on: March 04, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
Well, if we can't have D-Wii, and we don't have the coding experience to make our own D4, somebody should learn javascript and make a minecraft mod...

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #632 on: March 04, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »
Well, if we can't have D-Wii, and we don't have the coding experience to make our own D4, somebody should learn javascript and make a minecraft mod...

Guys, I'm not saying that we have to HAVE coding experience, etc. All we need is to have the idea, then pitch it to whoever wants to do something with it. HELL, let Interplay keep said Descent rights, come up with a FIRM idea about D4, then set up an appointment to meet with the developers in person and see if they like the idea! If they like it, and they think it'll sell, we've got ourselves a D4!

But don't forget to whisper loudly as you leave their offices, "If you build it, they will come."
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #633 on: March 05, 2012, 06:06:23 AM »
Surely you mean just plain java, heh.

The problem with the proposed idea though is that we need to find a team that's willing to do it. I'm sure there are a few out there, but many are going to be occupied with their own projects already.

On the subject of a minecraft mod, however:

heh
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:32:23 AM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #634 on: March 05, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
New creeper?

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #635 on: March 05, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
It's actually a pig, as it was easiest to just replace the renderer of a creature with my custom model. It could easily be a creeper, though.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #636 on: March 05, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »
Was kind of a joke referencing the fact that in D3 they are kamikaze drones.

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #637 on: March 06, 2012, 12:39:18 AM »
Surely you mean just plain java

Sums up how much I know about code.  ::)

Awesome Minecraft drone is awesome.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #638 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »
Was kind of a joke referencing the fact that in D3 they are kamikaze drones.
Yeah, I figured that, but I hadn't thought of that at the time.

It would be easy to fix that little mistake, though!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #639 on: May 15, 2012, 07:52:40 AM »
Back to the topic of Descent-4-Wii, just found an article that talks about Interplay's recent MDK2 port to the Wii and the developer's struggles to get it out and the such. Descent isn't mentioned anywhere in there, but it might clue us in on why Descent-4-Wii has taken so long to get as far as it has, because developing a Wii-Ware game isn't a quick process...

At any rate, it's pretty much a moot point by now. Even if Interplay does manage to pull a rabbit out of a hat and release Descent-4-Wii before the year is out, it'll be too late. Alieo wasn't joking when he called the Wii a dead console some posts back. I've noticed game developers have already stopped paying any attention to the Wii, and have turned their attention to the upcoming Wii U, which is scheduled to be released by the end of 2012, and by the sound of it, it will NOT be using Wii-Ware, at least not in the same sense as the Wii used it. So even if Descent-4-Wii does get released, I don't expect it to do well at all, simply because the attention isn't there anymore, so it might actually just be better for Interplay to cut their losses now and not release it at all.

Or take what they have for the port and bring it to another console. Like it's native PC.

...Actually, that's not too bad an idea. :) Pity I can't see it happening at this point.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #640 on: May 15, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »
What I wonder is WHY Interplay even considered teaming up with Nintendo in the first place. Descent and Descent Maximum came out on Playstation 1, so wouldn't it be wise to stick to the SAME console that originally got (some) fans (because most of us started on PC) interested in the franchise? Actually, in my case, D1 Demo game with my aunt's BRAND NEW Aptiva Windows 95 computer and I played it on there and I was hooked... but when I searched for it in stores, I found it on the Playstation, and I was like WOOHOO! Then Descent Maximum came out and I got IT. But I don't get why Interplay chooses to partner with Nintendo even in 2012... *ahem* ...2010, when they had two releases on PSX in the past. I don't have a Playstation anymore, but isn't there a "network" type place that Playstation has as well?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #641 on: May 15, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »
Most likely just because the Wii's control system would work reasonably well for Descent (better than a pad controller anyway).

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #642 on: May 15, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »
Oh, that's right. I forgot about that.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #643 on: May 15, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
Most likely just because the Wii's control system would work reasonably well for Descent (better than a pad controller anyway).
Depending on who you ask... My wrists hurt just thinking about it.

Also, @Scyphi, how can you port a PC game to PC?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:11:59 PM by IHateHackers »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #644 on: May 15, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »
That's because you're wasting your wrists on other things... J/K J/K  :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets