Author Topic: PD.com destruction?  (Read 34542 times)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: PD.com destruction?
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2010, 05:25:50 AM »
Don't really like the limited panel width but aside from that this beats the crap out of most of the other skins.

I wish I knew how to create templates though. With some work (and html pulled from archive.org) it'd probably be possible to reproduce PD.com's interface

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2010, 06:15:18 AM »
Well, we all know we want it, somebody just has to put it together.

If it was just a simple matter of photoshoping one together, I'd do it, but unfortunately, there's more to it than that. :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2010, 06:23:15 AM »
Yes, Dusky 2 is a definite improvement (I like).

If the panel width varied according to your browser width (instead of being limited to specific sizes) ... that would be nice.
EDIT: Actually it already does, it just has this huge left hand margin. Kind of limits the size.  :P

You know what else would be good? ... If the title portion and user info portion of each post was in blue background instead of black background, I think that would be a good thing.  It would be a very similar color scheme to PD.com yet have the new goodness that it PD.net.

About then, I just about wouldn't care about PD.com's old antiquated, limited, HTML based, easily hacked forum interface ... no matter how good it looked.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:28:41 AM by TechPro »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2010, 07:11:28 AM »
If I knew the format this site used I could make one, but frankly I haven't the slightest clue. I haven't used this software before, and getting admin access is unlikely... So back to square 1  I guess :P

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2010, 06:31:38 PM »
I know that for sure Commander-In-Chief, WillyP, and (I think) myself all have the rights to be able to do that.

As for myself, I have very little (nearly zero) experience working with the themes used by the forum type ... so I would not be a good choice to make any changes (at least, not at this time).   

I do know that WillyP knows how and I think it was him that made the Dusky 2 theme (a altered copy of Dusky).

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:37 PM »
We are going to be switching to SMF2 soon, so don't bother spending a lot of time with skinning for 1.1.11. Intsead, go find some SMF2 skins you guys like and post some links. I'll be putting up a test site soon to play with.

SMF Theme Site

BlocWeb

Tiny Portal (go to the forum then scroll down to Themes)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:16:30 PM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »
I'm thinking that with some similar color adjustments like the one we just made (which, BTW, looks quite nice), this one would look PD-ish and very slick:

Blue Pearl for SMF 2.0

I also think this would look pretty cool with a Descent-styled banner (I'd be happy to make and provide one) and some icon swaps, though I'm not sure about load-times (may be a bit image-happy):

DarkBreak for SMP 2.0

Otherwise I am currently very happy with Dusky 2 until the upgrade. Reducing the margin percentage would be helpful (as you did with Debase, originally), but it's not necessary.

INSERT: And a power-up to you, Willy, for taking my color-palette swap idea and making it a reality. Thanks.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:19:13 PM by D2Junkie »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
I agree with D2Junkie.  This Dusky 2 variant is actually quite nice (and PD-ish).

If we want to play around with some other themes, I might suggest looking at The PlayRoom Basic, Royal Curve, or Sharp Curve ... but all of them would need a bit of changes and "tweaks" ... and Dusky 2 as it is right now looks a lot like what we'd be looking for already.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 05:18:36 AM »
My only complaint about Dusky 2 is that huge left hand margin. With nothing in it. If it had something in it, then it'd be understandable, but it's just empty space (at least, that's what I'm seeing).

I like Blue Pearl myself, even with the coloration it already has. Though that title it comes with would need to go. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 08:18:32 AM »
Some more free SMF2 themes here.

And more here.

Crip is the one who made most of the themes here, including Dusky, here is his demo site for SMF2.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:40:29 AM by WillyP »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »
Utter catastrophy! I am now getting redirected to IGN when I go to .com!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:38:25 PM by WillyP »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2010, 12:02:54 PM »
Typical IGN. Would rather just remove something or leave it as is than fix it. Gamespy is a perfect example.

I wonder if the entire domain is dead or just the homepage? It may still be possible to directly access the mission DB.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 12:07:55 PM »
When I googled it, there were secondary links to the DB, but they all went to IGN.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »
We could yell at them, but what's the chance that we would be heard?

hint:none

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »
Utter catastrophy! I am now getting redirected to IGN when I go to .com!

Looks like that was temporary, it's the same now as it was when this started. Maybe someone is working on it and needed to redirect temporarily, or even accidentally. Let's not jump to conclusions... The patient is critical but not deceased yet.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets