Which Descent game do you think is the best in the series

Descent 1
6 (25%)
Descent 2
8 (33.3%)
Descent 3
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Which Descent game do you think is the best in the series  (Read 17422 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Which Descent game do you think is the best in the series
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »
lol. Don't get me started for my story on D3.  ;D
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline S13driftAZ

• Silver
  • I suck at descent
    • DescentBB Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 12:05:27 PM »
Ugh, do you ever go outside?  :-\  8)

I keep on reading about people complaining that D3 is so different and stuff and how lame it can be, but people have to realize that things have to change. If descent never really developed like d3 did, then nobody would buy and the developers would get really bored. Metallica shows this point very well. After playing the same songs over and over at every concert and practicinge the stuff, eventually you will want to change up your style and do something new. Things lose their luster. Thats why the (bad) metallica album came out. For something new.

Open your minds... don't stay stuck in the past forever

Offline Eagle131

• Silver
    • E. Ruoss
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 01:37:58 PM »
It's not that I am close minded about trying new things at all.  I can clearly see that Outrage wanted to try something different with D3.  Like a complete graphics overhaul, making tri chording a feature, and the Fusion Engine.  I just don't think they spent enough time working out the kinks of the game.  I mean D3 is not a horrible game, it just does not feel all that refined to me.  And I know that it probably wasn't completely the developer's fault either...

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »
Metallica shows this point very well. After playing the same songs over and over at every concert and practicinge the stuff, eventually you will want to change up your style and do something new. Things lose their luster. Thats why the (bad) metallica album came out.

Who's Metallica?
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline S13driftAZ

• Silver
  • I suck at descent
    • DescentBB Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »
Who's Metallica?
/facepalm

:D I hope that was sarcasm

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 06:28:50 PM »
Eagle has a good point, D3 wasn't at all as great a game as it could've been, and in many ways, was a bit of a let down, but it still deserves more credit than people are giving it.

For me, I like D3, but for reasons I can't really explain that accurately, I don't like it as much as the other games.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Eagle131

• Silver
    • E. Ruoss
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 03:56:40 AM »
I'm not all for the nostalgia of playing the first two... I just like D3.
I assume this is why you lashed out at us ;).  It's all good!  Sometimes we all make uneducated-sounding generalized responses about Descent 3.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 04:47:07 AM »
...uneducated-sounding generalized responses...
me likes
is good
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline descentgod

• Bronze
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »
I liked the first 1 and maximum for the good ol' ps1

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »
Ugh, do you ever go outside?  :-\  8)

I keep on reading about people complaining that D3 is so different and stuff and how lame it can be, but people have to realize that things have to change.

It's the old 'complain that it's the same, and complain that it's different.

I guess it's based on preference. I liked the changes they did on Call of Duty when COD2 came out. I miss that game. Modern Warefare, not bad, but Black Ops 2 VS the 1st, heh.... nothing special. big changes, and not worth $60.

As for Descent. I like the first game in most series. It's the start, and basically fun. Online, only did D3, and that was a blast!

offline, D1 is my favorite, online, D3 is.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »
I like D2 better because the gameplay was more complex than D1, but not so complex that I have no clue what I'm doing most of the time like in D3.  Did I already post that?  Also D3 on Hotshot, the robots are waaay too tough and I die lots because I can't deal them enough damage to kill them fast enough -- I'm looking at you, Thresher! :)  On D1 and D2 at hotshot I don't die at all.

D3 is my favourite online just because it has a sort of chaos to its physics that the previous games didn't and weapons that enhance said chaos.  It makes online play a little more frustrating, but so much more fun.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:39:52 PM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 07:14:24 AM »
Ditto.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »
I like D3 the best. D1 and D2 are good for that blast of nostalgia, but it's not really the kind of game I can sit and play for hours. It's too much the same. D3 shakes things up.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »
Same with me and "another' type of game. After a while, you feel you mastered it, and doing the same thing over and over and over again, is redundant.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »
I have nothing against variety and mission-based-ness in gameplay -- I just think D3 didn't pull it off very well.  It was additional confusion instead of additional fun IMHO.  Some of the enemies were fun though -- Tubbs, Flame Gyro, Old Scratch...  Hood when there's only one or two of them.  Stormtrooper (except for Omegatrooper and sometimes Blackjack).  Tailbot & Spyhunter...
Too bad that for most of the robots Vauss was the unquestionably best weapon for a not-that-great reason -- at least with Gauss in D2 it was the best weapon because it was the best weapon...

On the other hand D1 and D2's gameplay still feels fresh to me when I'm playing a level I haven't played before.  Unless I use guidebot.  The big reason I love Descent is exploration and searching for items -- with lots of explody things blowing up along the way -- instead of a linear level where you complete various objectives that almost always just happen to be placed in a conveniently straight line to the end of the mission.  In D1 and D2 it's less confusing than the few less linear missions in D3 because I have a much better idea of what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:22:31 AM by Kaiaatsel »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets