Author Topic: The Cutting Room Floor: Descent  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
The Cutting Room Floor: Descent
« on: April 18, 2020, 10:18:45 AM »
Thought this might be fun to share for those who weren't familiar with it already.

"The Cutting Room Floor" is a wikia-style site that is dedicated to cataloging all of the cut or unused content from games and presenting it for the reference of others. I've stumbled across it once or twice before in my web-surfing, but have now found that it has entries for some of the Descent games.

Now, anybody who's done any modding and/or custom level building for Descent is probably already familiar with many of these, but there were a few that were more obscure that I didn't know about (apparently D1 had already been set to feature a few things that ultimately got put in D2 instead), or helped clear up a little as to just what that content is/was and what it might have been for originally. So all in all, still a fun read. :)

Links are as follows:
Descent (PC)
Descent II (Demo)
Descent II (PC)

There is no pages for Descent 3 as of yet. There are pages for the Playstation versions of D1 and D2, but they didn't really have anything additional to share that was very interesting. A page for the first Freespace game also exists, but the site considers it separate from Descent.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: The Cutting Room Floor: Descent
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »
I've done a lot of work on the PC TCRF pages, but I'm always interested to hear if there's anything I've missed.

At the moment I still have some sound related things I need to get to and trying to dig out the unused textures, but they're a bit annoying to do. I'd do more Descent 3 stuff, but tbh I really have no means to go about the data collection.

Edit: not long after, I discovered two unused "hostage" faces the source alluded to are present in the Descent 1 Mac PIG file. Woah. Check them out here
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:43:17 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 05:40:15 AM »
Huh. Looks like they were intended to be used as some sort of screen graphic, like maybe on a wall nearby to the hostage room. Hmm. Wonder why it didn't make the cut.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 02:32:46 PM »
*potential necropost warning!*
I believe that you left out the unused boss death roll sounds (Bosses 3-6) :)
They sound drastically different from the default d2 boss death sound, and Boss deaths 5 and 6 seems to sound like the default being split into 2 sound files
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 01:27:58 PM »
Well, the site's free to edit, I believe, so you'd be welcome to add that in yourself if you can. :)
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets