Author Topic: Descent 3 - FOV  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Snyper

• Bronze
Descent 3 - FOV
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »
Is anyone aware of any mods out there to adjust the field of view in Descent 3, to match up better with wide and ultra wide monitors?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Descent 3 - FOV
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 05:17:50 AM »
There's none that I'm aware of. Doing some digging around the internet on the subject, the impression I'm getting is that D3 has no built-in support for it, and isn't likely to get any anytime soon outside of official avenues, and seeing the game hasn't had an official update since 2001, well...  :-\

From the comments I'm seeing, some from which I know are players that know way more about D3's inner workings than I do, it would appear such a mod can't be done without access to D3's source code, which to date hasn't been released to the public (and there's no guarantees that it will be anytime soon).

Max you can apparently do is 1600x1200, which when the game released, was pretty impressive for '99. I'm seeing hints that there might be various ways to milk 4K out of D3 with the use of third-party apps, but there is still apparently a loss of FOV at the same time, so I don't know if it'd be worth it.

I might be able to find more info with more digging than I can spare the time for at the moment, but it's certainly looking like I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Sorry.  :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
Re: Descent 3 - FOV
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 06:09:26 AM »
You can use command lines such as these to get widescreen resolutions, but the FOV is unchanged.

-launched -width 1920 -height 1080 -aspect 1.78 -usesmoothing -nomultitexture -himem -hividmem -subpixelcorrect -nocompress -nointro -nooutragelogo -nosparkles -nomotionblur -z32bit -subpixelcorrect -noflicker -framecap 60

These are recorded using those settings:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

D3 looks better with native glide using Voodoo cards (reflective surfaces, better terrain rendering, less glitches, better mapping), but the glide wrapper pales in comparison so I just use OpenGL.
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets