Author Topic: Little Orbit  (Read 4082 times)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
Little Orbit
« on: May 03, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
The Descendent Studios web site and the Descent 2019 (Descent: Underground) game servers are now down. It appears their new publisher Little Orbit is the cause of the delay in development. I do not know all the details, but apparently they are not delivering on their promises for resources, such as testers, GUI developers, console ports and funding. Instead of being a savior of Descent 2019. it appears they are killing it. I am expecting an official statement to be released soon.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Little Orbit
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 05:09:43 AM »
You know, hearing this admittedly doesn't surprise me all that much. Personally, I'm holding out for said official statement first before assuming too much about what's going on, but from the start, I worried joining forces with Little Orbit was going to bring up complications the, frankly already troubled, DU group weren't going to need on top of everything else.

But at the same time, from what Descendant has said about the behind the scenes stuff, I can't blame them too much for doing it. They really did need the added help of another studio to get all the remaining loose ends of the game squared away in a timely manner, and Little Orbit seemed to promise that help. So to hear any word that Little Orbit may not be making good on those promises is still disheartening, to say the least.  :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »
As I posted about on the DBB, the game has been tied up in a legal battle between LO and Descendant. The game itself is essentially finished, just a open BETA is required to iron out the bugs. But LO have been stone walling and trying to alter the game, asking for new features and new things despite the devs having been working for free, and even investing their own savings into keeping the servers running. Essentially LO are trying to screw everyone by taking control of the game or pulling the plug on the project entirely if they don't do it, and so now lawyers have become involved in this. Interplay are also getting involved. It's a real mess TBH.
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 05:01:49 AM »
Wait, even Interplay's gotten involved?

...you mean Interplay's even in a position relevant enough to BE involved?  :P

More seriously, though, this is all very troubling news, and boo on Little Orbit for trying to be greedy. Descendant didn't deserve any of this.  :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 03:42:30 PM »
Interplay still own the IP, and still have legal representation. Lawyers are involved from both LO and Descendant too.

The game currently is tied up in a legal battle.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 05:36:50 AM »
Well, I suppose getting into legal battles is about all Interplay's still good for these days anyway...sorry, but my respect for Interplay went away a long time ago, so I can't help but rub it in a little.  :P

Seriously, though, I was thinking about this last night and thinking how sad the near Descent "revival" we nearly had has been going kinda downhill. Just the matter of a couple years ago, we were looking at multiple Descent games coming out that interconnected in some manner to Descent or its style of gameplay, and things had been looking good, the start of a possible Descent "Renaissance," if you will. But of them, only one (Overload) has actually formally released to date, and while it was a great game, it still undersold and didn't turn a profit. Another stalled out (Sol Contingency), and DU might still make it to release yet, but it's been marred with this and other troubles so much that I can't help but fear its odds of success are in trouble too.

It's hard to remain optimistic in the face of all this, y'know? :(
Check out my deviantART

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »
Descent has always been this way. The first game was nearly canned when the publisher pulled out. Interplay came in and saved it. The 3rd game was marred with problems, being rebuilt multiple times and suffering from a breakdown in team communication. And Descent IV was canned and turned into Red Faction. Then ofcourse all the Descent games that tried to get off the ground in the years leading up to D:U, each went into a development grave or were handed cease and desist papers. So really, this is nothing new... we'll survive  ;)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 05:14:58 AM »
Yeah, I know. It's just...it was looking like things were finally going Descent's way for a change, and that was exciting to think about. So, you know, to end up getting something a little less than that instead...is still a bit of a let down.

But, still crossing fingers that things ultimately work out for DU in the end. :)
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets