Author Topic: Descent mods with new robots and weapons?  (Read 6615 times)

Offline clusterone

• Bronze
Descent mods with new robots and weapons?
« on: January 08, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »
Hello all! Long time lurker, had an old account, not sure what happened to it.

Anyways.

For a while now I have been looking for mods that include new enemies and/or new weapons, or a way to include that into vanilla game. Do any exist?

Thanks!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Descent mods with new robots and weapons?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 04:47:40 AM »
Welcome!

Yes, some mods do exist. And there are lots of fan made missions, too, for all three games.

File download system is broken but if we can figure out what you want I'll fetch it for you. Do you play 1 and 2, or 3?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:26:23 AM »
Do you play 1 and 2, or 3?
Well, seeing that I can't say I've ever seen a D1 mission with new custom bots or new custom weapons, I would think he's probably more likely referring to D2 and D3.  ;)

But hey, if such a D1 mission exists, I'd love to hear about it too.  :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »
Sorry about any confusion, but I tend to think of 1 and 2 as 1+2 because they are similar.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
There was an XL mod that added bots from the enemy within to all of d1's levels but I'm pretty sure it was XL only.

Offline clusterone

• Bronze
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 02:31:48 AM »
Sorry forgot to reply! But I am looking for mainly Descent 1. :)
Descent 2 and 3 work as well, but Descent 1 mainly. (And if there are full level packs too that would be awesome if you have any handy!)

Thank you!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 06:51:00 AM »
Then I'm afraid there aren't really any. Descent 1 wasn't really set up in such a way for modding like that to be done--the tools for it didn't exist--so no one really ever did.

The most "modded" D1 level (set) I ever saw had a macro-whatever included as an optional install that, when you installed it, it gave all of your weapons new names...but all of the weapons still looked and behaved exactly as they did before. Never have I heard of a custom bot in D1 either. That's about the full extent of modding got with D1.

D2 and D3 are a different story though--far more modding took place in both of those games.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline clusterone

• Bronze
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
Then I'm afraid there aren't really any. Descent 1 wasn't really set up in such a way for modding like that to be done--the tools for it didn't exist--so no one really ever did.

The most "modded" D1 level (set) I ever saw had a macro-whatever included as an optional install that, when you installed it, it gave all of your weapons new names...but all of the weapons still looked and behaved exactly as they did before. Never have I heard of a custom bot in D1 either. That's about the full extent of modding got with D1.

D2 and D3 are a different story though--far more modding took place in both of those games.

Alright that's fine. :)

Got any suggestions for 2 than?

(Also part of this stems from the back of the old Descent box laser level 14 quad and such haha)

Offline Alexander Borisov

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 07:07:26 AM »
How about Vertigo (adds new bots to D1+D2), TEW, Enemy Vignettes, Lost Levels (only one with new weapons), EAF2, Mandrill, Legacy of Chaos, Konflikt at Karon, Kryllidian Krusade, Phobos, Entropy Experiment 1,2, Obsidian, Project Hydro, Bahagad Outbreak? And XL-only Anthology. All available on DMDB.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 06:49:40 AM »
^ Yeah, that's pretty much all of them for D2 right there...at least, I can't think of any to add. :)

Not sure if I'm familiar with that "Anthology" one, but that's not too surprising seeing I haven't used D2X-XL in ages...maybe I'll have to look that one up myself...

Oh, by the way, in case you need it: Link to Descent Mission Database
Check out my deviantART

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »

D1 didn't really support much in the way of custom stuff. In order to do custom textures, robots or sounds, you had to overwrite the base files from the game itself (DTX had the ability to do patches to make this easier). It was only when the source code was released that D1 had more modding options added to it. (Note that the sounds part of this persisted to D2 as well, from what I recall)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »
I figured that, or otherwise the bots introduced in Vertigo would have had new calls.
Only one of them did and even that sound was in the base game files for an unused bot.

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »
They probably could have added something for custom sounds, since the custom textures and robot stuff was not added until 1.2, if I remember right.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets