Author Topic: Overload Playable Teaser 2.0!  (Read 6331 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Overload Playable Teaser 2.0!
« on: March 03, 2017, 06:34:39 PM »
Now available through Steam or through the Overload website!

http://playoverload.com/

According to today's Kickstarter update, the Revival team has also stated that they plan to bring this to Early Access as of March 13 for the admission fee of 25 bucks. KS Backers at the "beta" level will receive more frequent builds of the game for testing. They also have said that at least five of the singleplayer levels are now at least at the alpha level.

Considering that the original release date was slated to be Q1 2017, and that the KS only barely made it's goal, I'm concerned that this may be an admission that Revival has run out of both time and money for this project. With that in mind, the second teaser is more of a fully-featured - and quite promising - demo, with a more robust and updated Challenge mode (with a second level!), functioning difficulty levels (yes, they're called Trainee, Rookie, Hotshot, Ace, and Insane), and a solid graphical update featuring a superb presentation. Check it out now!

Watch me die very, very quickly at it here:
https://youtu.be/ZOri1dqvNNk
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:48:02 PM by D2Disciple »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
Re: Overload Playable Teaser 2.0!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:36:50 AM »
Looking good - I'll be playing it this weekend :)
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:12:29 AM »
Played it last night. It is utterly beautiful and fun to play, and the graphics are very nicely rendered. Because I had problems with lag on the default graphic settings, I had to turn down everything to their lowest settings, and even then the game was still very breathtaking!  ;D

Obviously Overload is still trying to be its own thing, but at the same time, it very much feels and plays like a remastered D1...which I am totally a-ok with.  :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »
Yeah I was saying to myself (out loud) while playing "now THIS is Descent!"
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 07:47:26 AM »
Yeah, I keep telling the Descent Underground crew that they're lacking a visual element that Overload clearly has, but darned if they'll listen to me...  ::)

Actually, I still think DU's got promise, especially now that they're focusing on some single-player, but we're not talking about that in this thread. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 04:14:21 AM »
Yeah, I keep telling the Descent Underground crew that they're lacking a visual element that Overload clearly has, but darned if they'll listen to me...  ::)

Actually, I still think DU's got promise, especially now that they're focusing on some single-player, but we're not talking about that in this thread. :)

You know, I logged into D:U for the first time in a while last night and felt the same way about the visual design. There's something... Off about it. It's hard to say exactly what. the lighting is great and the level of detail in the textures and environment is stunning, but I think the weapons design and sound design are pretty simplistic... And some of the colored lighting is kinda garish.

It also doesn't help it's been in early access entirely too long and there were cobwebs in the server list when I checked. Oh well, I got quite a number of hours of enjoyment out of it despite its unfinished state. Even if it never got completed, I wouldn't feel cheated in the least. I got to hand it to those guys for giving it their all... Few teams are so apt to listen to their fanbase.

That said, Overload is shaping up to the "true" successor of Descent. I think they're off to a good start focusing on single-player, as that can be played and enjoyed ten years from now, regardless of how the MP gaming fares. If I'm honest I hope they keep MP simple - Anarchy, Team Anarchy, and CTF; a few solid levels, and a handful of ships. Descent works because of simplicity, I don't want to see Overload overcomplicate it like D:U has.

Lastly: anyone up for some Sol Contingency: Proving Grounds? That's one of the best little MP games I've ever played...
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 11:37:03 AM »
Actually, I haven't even really touched Sol Contingency after maybe one or two playthroughs of the game. It's an okay enough of a game, certainly, but I admit, it really hasn't left much of a mark on me. *shrugs*
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets