Author Topic: Descent ported to an Android phone  (Read 17395 times)

Offline Viper1999

• Silver
  • Now where was I?
Re: Descent ported to an Android phone
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 02:36:53 PM »
I kinda done the same thing, but it's the PSX port of the first one.

Descent (PSX) on Android

Phone used: Xperia PLAY

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 07:19:16 PM »
Awesumz.
My phone is Android.  I can haz? ;D

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 06:26:47 AM »
Found another port of Descent 2 to Android on the Interplay forums, this time done by a game company with some experience under their belts. Of all the ports I've seen for Android, this one looks to be the best, with the most ideal controls. :D

Link
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
Found another port of Descent 2 to Android on the Interplay forums, this time done by a game company with some experience under their belts. Of all the ports I've seen for Android, this one looks to be the best, with the most ideal controls. :D

Link

Looks sweet!

Do not see any options to download/buy yet. As with the other ports it looks like you will need to supply the game data. Looks like he typically charges about $2.50 for a old school game app. Probably a EULA violation if he charges for a Descent port.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »
As far as I know, I'm pretty sure he would be in violation by charging for it if he modified the source code.  If he designed his own emulator-type app that just provides a compatible environment for the game to run in, he could charge for that though.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 06:43:32 AM »
Right, part of the reason he posted this on the Interplay forums was in hopes of bringing it to Interplay's attention and getting their go ahead to proceed. He has since been directed to more formal channels for doing that, and there's been no word on whether or not Interplay will bite.

Personally, I hope they do. This is really the first port I've seen that shows Descent can be played, practically and authentically, on a mobile device like the Android and giving it a proper release would mean more attention to Descent and more funds for Interplay. Seems to me like it'd be a smart choice, business wise, and Interplay's has been all about publishing other people's games/mods since their revival, so why not continue the tradition?

Also, in unrelated news, 2,000 posts!  ;D ::)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:46:28 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets