Author Topic: So I've made a 6DoF game  (Read 18080 times)

Offline Scottris

• Silver
Re: So I've made a 6DoF game
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't think the radar in Talon will aid those tactics all that much. It is line-of-sight, after all. It does not show every ship on the battlefield. It does aid in spotting ships, but it won't show ships that you couldn't otherwise have seen. It is beneficial in keeping track of teammates, and distinguishing friend from foe, and it helps to reduce the "WTF where am I getting shot from?" furstration, which is never fun on the receiving end. Overall I believe the benefits outweigh the possible negatives. Besides, most weapons in Talon are not especially effective nor easy to use at a distance anyway. Go ahead and try sniping, if you want; I don't think you'll get much out of it.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »
...it won't show ships that you couldn't otherwise have seen.

How so?  Do opponents only show up on radar once they have been in line-of-sight?  (That would be an intriguing way to solve it.)

If players can tell where opponents are without seeing them (e.g. on the other side of a wall, in another room, etc.), it will drive distance (and cover) tactics, period.  Players will make use of it in every sneaky/snipey way they can.

...it helps to reduce the "WTF where am I getting shot from?" furstration, which is never fun on the receiving end.

Is spotting active opponents your primary purpose for having radar?  If so, then just make it show locations for ships which are in line-of-sight or locations of noise (ships firing, cloak sounds, etc.).  This would be more reasonable, more plausible for a sci-fi ship system, and would remove the advantage it gives to sniping/ratting/distance/cover gameplay.

Go ahead and try sniping, if you want; I don't think you'll get much out of it.

Me, personally?  Ha, I've never sniped in multiplayer in my life. 

I'm pointing these things out, so you can avoid them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:46:42 PM by Foil »

Offline Scottris

• Silver
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
Me, personally?  Ha, I've never sniped in multiplayer in my life.

Not you, personally. It was rhetorical.

How so?  Do opponents only show up on radar once they have been in line-of-sight?

It's a 360 degree targeting system that identifies all active (systems powered up) and non-cloaked ships which can be seen from your position. It does not work through walls.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »
It's a 360 degree targeting system that identifies all active (systems powered up) and non-cloaked ships which can be seen from your position. It does not work through walls.

Ah, then consider my reservations withdrawn on that subject.  Thanks for the clarification!  :)

Offline Scottris

• Silver
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »
Is there going to be a soundtrack?

I hope so, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do for music yet.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
Okay, guys.

For those of you talking a lot and not trying this game out... you're missing out.  Talon is a hell of a Beta.

As for my previous reservations, consider them closed.  Scottris has made the auto-AB, normalized thrust, and auto-leveling optional; turn 'em off, and this game feels exactly right.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2013, 06:26:46 PM »
I couldn't find the beta when I looked. Am I missing something?

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
Oh, it's a somewhat private beta.
You need to register first on the Talon forums, AND also ask Scottris for gaining access to the beta.

I've already tested the beta, and I must say it's great! ;)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »
Quote from: Foil
For those of you talking a lot and not trying this game out... you're missing out.  Talon is a hell of a Beta.

I was out of country without a laptop for the past three weeks, so I at least have an excuse.

Actually, no I don't, because I haven't commented since before the beta was released and...now I'm wondering why I'm even talking about this. :P

Will look into the beta at soonest opportunity. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »
It's very good, although I only got to actually play online once and that was just with Enzo03 and so many bots I never actually faced Enzo03.  So I'm checking every couple of days to see if there's an actual server up but no luck yet.
I really like the warehouse map.

Offline Scottris

• Silver
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »
There are games running now. There have been servers up for a while. If you're not seeing games, make sure you've patched to the latest beta version.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets