Author Topic: I now have IRREFUTABLE PROOF that the world's final year is 2012!  (Read 15012 times)

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
Re: I now have IRREFUTABLE PROOF that the world's final year is 2012!
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
There was no importance attached to it.  All that happened was someone connected the wrong dots together:
  • Mayans made some predictions that apparently came true - don't ask me which ones, I'm going by the logic of the believers.
  • Calendar "ends"
  • >implying end of days.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 03:31:31 AM »
I am sure if they were around today, they would simply perform a few more calculations, and extend the life of the earth calender a few more centuries.

The calender hanging in my kitchen ends on December 31, 2012, obviously, the world will end at that point. Unless I use the back cover which has 2013 in short form. Obviously Pizza Spinners of Lee, NH, knows something we don't.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 05:24:21 AM »
Good way of putting it into perspective, WillyP. :D

Quote from: CrazyEnzo03
Mayans made some predictions that apparently came true - don't ask me which ones, I'm going by the logic of the believers.

If I remember correctly, the Mayan calendar has been crazy good at predicting astronomical events with near freakish precision (considering the time period it was made) as far ahead as centuries after the Mayans themselves were dead and gone. So seeing that they got that much right, people thought that maybe there was a reason the calender ended when it did, and from that sprang up the "end of the world" theories, or that's how I see it.

Most archeologists and Mayan experts don't seem to buy into it, though, so it's, as usual, just an instance of the uneducated making a big deal out of something that likely isn't that big of a deal at all, no offense to said uneducated.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2012, 06:36:56 AM »
The thing is, the Mayans were good at writing stuff down. You'd think they might want to document the end of the world somewhere, wouldn't you?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 05:02:29 AM »
I know the Mayans apparently wrote down what they thought would happen on the day the world ended, but they didn't associate a date with it that I know of...

It's possible that they, like Vanguard, thought the end of the world would just come when it came, and whether they knew it was coming or not wasn't their concern.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »
Wait, X-mas 2011 is the last X-mas day?!  :P J/K
Anyways, the world CANNOT end in 12-21-2012!  Take a look back at plain ol y2k, it was fine and no destruction of the world.  The Mayans are just paranoid about this year, that's right... I said that they're paranoid!  This whole End of the world in 2k12 is 100% complete NONSENSE!  No, offense people.  If we pass 12-21-2012 and everything is fine and there's not a thing to be paranoid about.  End of story
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »
I need to get some more issues of MAD.
I have one.  It is not enough.  Not nearly.  BUT STUPID IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND MAGAZINES ARE STUPID AND IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
Wait, X-mas 2011 is the last X-mas day?!  :P J/K
Anyways, the world CANNOT end in 12-21-2012!  Take a look back at plain ol y2k, it was fine and no destruction of the world.  The Mayans are just paranoid about this year, that's right... I said that they're paranoid!  This whole End of the world in 2k12 is 100% complete NONSENSE!  No, offense people.  If we pass 12-21-2012 and everything is fine and there's not a thing to be paranoid about.  End of story

I love how you left that shred of doubt: "IF we pass 12-21-2012..." Whether it ends or not, New Year's is definitely not going to be the same ever again. I've watched Dick Clark almost every New Year's I've been alive. I'm going to miss his countdowns.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »
I think it's fair to say "If" we pass 12-21-2012, seeing as we have no way to know for certain when the world will end, no? It's possible it might end, but I think you'd agree that since there's no more likelihood than any other day, to worry would be foolish, right?

Am I really speaking in all questions after just one post in that thread?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 11:30:06 AM »
I don't know, are you?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »
Is it safe to assume that this will drive you all mad and we won't even be AROUND for 12/21/12?
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 06:51:40 PM »
I'm cool as a cucumber, and am looking forward to seeing many years.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets